Hi, a friend of mine have a 8 years old boy diagnosed with autism. But, before the recognition of childhood autism, he was described as schizophrenic. So, I was wondering what is the difference between schizophrenia and autims. I heard that some schizophrenic persons were later diagnosed with autism. Only, they were adults. Is there a link between schizophrenia and autism?

Hi, I`ve been reading a lot about autism (my sister was diagnosed with that) and schizophrenia as well. Recently I have read some animal studies which indicates that autism and schizophrenia may be linked to a inability to break down a protein found in milk. A protein not broken down produces morphine-like compounds, taken up futher by the brain areas involved in both, schizophrenia and autism. People with autism (or some form of it) have problems interacting and communicating with other people. Many of them have repeated body movements. People with schizophrenia have problems with thinking, they hear voices and suffer from hallucinations. Autism and schizophrenia are different disorders, as you can see. I think that your relative`s diagnosis is ok, if that is what worries you.

I realise you posted this a long time ago, but im curious to know whether you've found any other information of this other than what you found on this board?

I ask because my brother suffers from paranoid schizophrenia, however before the symptoms surfaced, and now, since he's medicated, we've noticed several indications of mild autism.