Hello. I'm 45 year old female and I have big problems with controlling my daughter’s behavior. For always she has been spoiled but this has become outstanding.
She has her own episodes of extreme nervousness and mood swings but there are periods when she was completely normal.
Anyway, these last couple of months it seams like all her symptoms were getting worse and worse. She has episodes of almost nervous break down and I was thinking to get her to see some psychiatrist. A friend has told me that it could be some schizoaffective disorder. Can someone tell me more about it?

Hello. I'm very sorry about your daughter and I would really like to help you if I could. I'm a medical student and I know something about this disorder you’ve mentioned.
You see, from what I know about it-schizoaffective disorder is caracterized by mood disorders and short periods of psychotic breakdown. I really can't say anything about your case because this illness may present a variety of symptoms but I can tell you that she should be definitely checked by some psychiatrist!
Most patients respond well to a combination of anti-depressants, anti-psychotic medication and a mood stabilizer.

I just wanted to know if there are behaviors and signs that are evident long before the peak ages for schizophrenia. What I am asking is: a normal child with normal behavior doesn't just reach the magical age of 20 or 30 and then become schizophrenia do they?

I have shizo affective disorder and was not diagnosed with the disease until my late 20's. Although the symptoms had shown for years, I did not see a counselor/psychiatrist until I was delusional and making a fool of myself in front of my caring friends. If you notice your daughter having severe mood swings, please have her checked.

my son for years was diagnosed as being bi polar till today when I was told he now has this condition called schizo effective disorder, he is 33 and he first had his condition diagnosed in April 2005 when he was admitted, so all this time he was misdiagnosed and the poor lad was told the wrong information, so you can imagine how confused he is, as am I too.

:( I have schizo\effective sends 1996 i have been hearing voices and seeing things are not there it is hard for me. Melissa starr

And it has turned out to be nothing more than psychiatric fraud, a commonplace these days. They just want to pump your kid full of drugs. The real underlying problem is most likely poor nutrition, a less than desirable social atmosphere, as you already have described. American health care is set up to exploit people and put people with legitimate physiological health problems in psych prisons or on dangerous medications...

American health care destroyed my life.

The DSM is a FRAUD.

Take your children back from the system.

I smell an agenda. We need real answers here, not scientology type BS, for shame.

Schizoeffective disorder is the reason why my mother could not take care of me and gave me up at birth. I was adopted into a caring family that often had to put up with my anger outbursts and crying spells beggining in early adolescence. My adoptive mom was educated and she knew that there was something irrational about my behavior. So she took me to a doctor where I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder. This was the summer after eigth grade. From then on I would have to take pills everyday to stabilize my mood. At first the psychiatrist started me out with some drug I don't remember but whatever it was it was so potent that the next day when I woke up I was seeing double. Then it was Depakote. I remember this drug because everyday I would shake, shake, shake. You can imagine trying to play a violin dulce and you're hands just wont stop shaking. Now I have Lithium. Lithium and Risperdal. With one I have to monitor my lithium level and the other makes me drowsy. Sometimes I wish that I did not have to take my meds. But I know that I take them for a reason. I convince myself that I don't HAVE to take them, I want to. I don't want to become like my mother, who had no control of her life. I'm educated, and I can do something about my life if I don't like it or if I want to keep it well the way it is. This means that if I know that I was diagnosed as bipolar for a reason, and that my mother was schizoeffective, and that me and my sister have a 60% chance that we will have this illness that she had, I will try to prevent it. If I do get it I can only accept it and take what the doctor prescribed. Then I can move on with my life. My adoptive mom was educated and she knew that my behavior was irrational. She knew that with the right help I could have a normal life. She passed her values onto me and I thank her for them. I am 20 years old and am currently attending Purdue University. I have alot of things on my mind but my illness, bipolar disorder, is the least of them. When I look back to where I was and where I am now I can't believe I would be here unless I had an educated mom who cared for me like my adoptive mom. When you know something is irrational with your child and you are educated, you have the responsibility to do something about it. The responsibilty to pass those values onto your children so that they wont be ignorant and try to ignore their illness IF they have one. I hope this post wasn't to long but I felt emotion in writing it and I hope it helps you.

I do not think your child has Schizoaffective Disorder. But it is extremely difficult for me to make any kind of diagnosis or assement without a whole lot more information

I think it is more likely she has a Mood Disorder and not Schizoaffective Disorder.

Schizoaffective disorder does share some observable symptoms with Mood Disorders that is why it could be confused---however a key element of Schizoaffective Disorder is hallucinations or delusions.

There are Bipolar and Depressive features to Schizoaffective disorder as well. For the time being I won't get into those.

Your child would most likely benefit from psychiatric consultation. It is their choice if they want to use medication or seek a psychotherapy approach. It has been my experience that a combination of medicine and psychotherapy are the most beneficial.

As with all service professions you will find the occasional horror story. All I can say to that is Psychiatrists and Psychologists are not perfect nor are they without their own problems.

You should not be afraid to switch to a different therapist if they are not helping you.

Let me tell you something. I have been diagnosed with Schitzo Affective Disorder since 2005. I am 35 years old now. Before this diagnosis, when I was 25, I was treated for Obsessive Cumpulsive Disorder, Depression and Anxiety Disorder. I'm not surprised that your son has been misdiagnosed. Usually, it takes 7 years before you get a proper diagnosis. If you read up on the topic it will tell you the same thing.

I am currently seeing a phyciatrist and have attended group sessions on Scitzophrenia/schitzo Affective disorder. The sessions helped, but after a while, maybe 6 months, I decided to not go to the sessions b/c I had other problems to deal with. Most people with Schizophrenia are addictive to some form of drug/alcohol. Also, I think I may have Post Traumatic Stress Disorder as well...so the diagnosis may change again or I will probably live with Schitzo Affective Disorder and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder at the same time for the rest of my life. Who knows.

Do not get discouraged. You and your son must accept the diagnosis at the time. Once you accept it you will feel better. You'll know that you have accepted it when you don't feel depressed about the diagnosis anymore. It's also good to tell your son that he is much "Greater" than the diagnosis. Schitzo Affective Disorder is only a small part of his life. He will feel better. As long as he takes his medications responsibly, keeps seeing his phsciatrist, and attend group sessions referred by the doctor.

I hope I answered your concerns.

Live in Peace

i am suffering from a schizoeffective disorder and am on two medications
seroquel and amitriptilyne and have seeing several doctors for over 2 decades....it is slowly coming to light for me because my mother and I are very much the same yet she has never been properly diagnosed...

misdiagnosis is common....it took me two decades to begin to discover what is happening to me....

...focus on the root causes and eliminate them ...

hey i agree with you much. Im not sure if im schizoeffective, or exactly whats wrong with me. about the whole American health care, i dunno wut they did to you, but yer bad experience doesnt always mean the next person will be as badoff as you. In my situation, i have always had auditory hallucinations* and partly visual, i see double vision to start off with. But i recently had alittle girl and im worried she will be just as bad as me. im not sure how it works and no i have never been to the doctor to be diagnosed. ive never found trust in doctors, its like going to sumone who doesnt like you and hearing all the bad things about yourself. i kno im pretty messed up in the head, i dont feel a doc is my solution, but maybe it would help out. Im very smart, and my mind makes me learn things. Im intellectual about subjects ive never studied, or even been around. It took me up till i was 21 to figure out that sumthing isnt right, and another thought that always crosses my mind is if it took me that long, i wonder what triggered it and i wonder wut i have missed untill i was 21. Its like a lost sense of reality. i dunno, good luck.

I am very sorry to hear about your daughter. I am actually schizo effective, 19 year old female...and I function.
I read some of the replies...so let me address a few things real quick.
I fought meds for a very long time. Like most mentally ill people do. I just started back on them last night after a good chunk of months. That person that tells you that drugs are poison, and that "us" people need to eat better and waht not... don't want to kill themselves on a daily basis, regardless of whether or not they are "suicidally depressed" or anythign is stressful going on. They can say that becuase they didn't spend their whole life growing up with the thought patters or the intense urge to drag a razorblade across their skin or put a cig. out on their body. So keep in mind, their are side effects to medicine, of any sort...tylenol or an anti psychotic. Live with them, or die with out them though...! I have tried to kill myself several times (before I was 18). I didn't even know what happiness felt like till after I had shock therapy at 17. I thought happiness was not wanting to kill yourslef at that moment.
Your daughter...whatever the label, is fighting some hard demons. If it is bi polar or schizo effective (which for me is bi polar with the ability and even push to exhibit schizophrenic TRAITS (it is not schizophrenia))...or wahtever...needs to see a psychiatrist (not a gen. doc) and see what is best for her....meds without therapy is not the best answer either. She may just need something to help her till she can learn how to help herself. THERE IS NO SHAME IN TAKING A PILL IF IT HELPS TAKE AWAY SOEM OF THE BURDEN...

Hello, my daughter had her first eisode in 2007 she was 22years old.Before this point she was a normal teen ager and young adult,aside from the usual rebelliousness against doing what your parents requested ,with regards to school and the choices of freinds.

My daughter had begun to experience with marijuana probaby at age 18 not sure.In her early 20's she met a young man who encouraged her smoking,made her feel wanted and a pat of a viable relationship.When seeing the two of them together they both presented a somewhat paronoid disposition.Then finally it happened she even became paranoid about him and ran away from the apartment.He kept this information to himself and tried to find her.When I got to the scene I was able to ask a police man what happened,he was the one who had baker acted her.From that day to this day I beleive the marijuana the boyfreind had provided was laced.We had never experienced such horrific acts that followed this ordeal.

Since 2007 she has been hospitalized about 4 times. each time the initial episode was unresolved so it resulted in a cycle of returning to the hospital.We experienced an 8 mth period of normalsie ,even without meds. Then suddenly it happened again. (paranoia,isolation,dellusions ,hallucinations,hearing voices.) and then hospitalization. I have been told ( DO NOT GET STUCK ON DIAGNOSIS) make yourself aware of triggers,and symptoms.Find a psychiatrist,a hospital day program and monitor changes in behaviors with medication until the correct adjustments are made.

Educate yourself through your local Mental Health Organizations.It is hard for anyone who has not experienced this to tell you what to do or what to expect.No one understands your feeling of your life being placed on hold ,because now you have a child dealing with a mental disorder and they seem not to be able o completely function on their own.You child has to be made to be repsonsible for taking care of their health ,with some suport ,but they are ultimately responsible.Use medication dispensers and calenders and a log of all resources and references. Keep in mind one day you won't be around an dthey will have to deal with it.The best mediation for me has ben prayer and the hope for someone to love her as I do and for her to have as normal a life as possible. When she is feeling well we have issues making sure the medication is taken and I revert back to administering , WE CONTINUE TO TRY TO MOVE FORWARD. ( Peace and Prayers ) to all who suport someone with a mental ilnes and to all who have been diagnosed.