My brother has been diagnosed with schizoeffective disorder. But he thinks that he`s just fine and have no intention to cure his condition. He is not taking any meds. The psychologist recommended a medication, but he refuses to treat himself. I`m kind of a scared of him. He sees things and he`s nervous and under stress all the time.

Hi. I would be scared of him too. My friend had a visual hallucinations (there were always a few men coming on to him), but they were all gone after taking some meds. He also heard voices and sometimes felt like dizzy. At first, he thought, and we all did, that he was just under some sort of stress. But, he went to the hospital and was diagnosed with schizoeffective. Psychotherapy has also helped him. You must convince your brother to ask some professional help. The masteringstress program might be helpful.

Don't be afraid of him. I have what he has. Treatments have screwed me up more than helped me. If he chooses not to be medicated, then that's his choice. He's no less human than you just because he's different. I see demons, dead people, and yeah, that scares people. But why? They aren't the ones that have to deal with it. It's pretty sad when I can deal with this stuff better than people that are only on the outside. We are no threat to anybody. Schizoeffective disorder does not mean we are killers or want to harm anybody. Evil people do that. Not different or sick people. So lay off him.

:-| I have schizoeffective disorder. It took me along time to come out of denial and accept treatment. Even sometimes today, after being on the medication for three years, I think that maybe it was just . . ., and I think I can come of the meds. But then I read about the symptoms of schizophrenia and bi polar disorder and I remember the specifics that I suffered, and I decide to stay on the meds.
As far as being scared of your brother, or sister, or mother, etc. I would say to be scared for them, not scared of them. Denial is a part of the disease, so is paranoia. I did not trust the doctors or therapists, so I did not accept treatment. Finally, after years of conflicts, delusions, loneliness, confusion, drug abuse, and loss, I felt there was nothing left for me to lose by trying the medications. I had tried everything else I could think of to control my life and my thinking.
Right away, people close to me starting saying I seemed better, that I made more sense to them when I spoke. That didn't make any sense to me. I didn't know what they meant, but I kept taking the meds. I was on the meds about a year and a half before I heard someone share in a group meeting and they reminded me of what I used to be like. I realized how much better I was now. I still need to remind myself on occasion.
Today I still have problems, I have not been able to hold a job. But I am so much better than I used to be. I have peace of mind, and the respect of loved ones.
If you are diagnosed with schizophrenia or schizoeffective disorder, just think about it. You have so much to gain, and nothing to lose by trying the meds. Try them for a year, if you don't like it, you can always have your misery, your confusion, your lonliness, back.

staying on the meds is a challenge but i agree that once you begin to see results it makes you able to begin to understand and heal yourself properly...before the medication i could not deal with reality and began to self medicate.....

...don't be afraid of them or for them...live in love..love them...if you love them and they begin to love themselves..only then can they truly begin to heal...

and root causes are vital too...meaning what trauma they have been through in childhood or adulthood .....

so, ive been reading more and more about being schizo and im slightly confused. im a person who lives inside of my mind, i have altered thoughts, auditory hallucinations, partly visual confusion, double vision from each eye individually, confused speech, no real train of thought. im always paranoid, and no legal meds. drug usage has been "helping" me open my mind and learn to speak from the inside, compared to the conversation going on on the outside. i also have some sorta learning advancement, i study things and understand how they work. moreless, i know answers to things without ever studying the subject and im usually right. so my question, am i reading the wrong fields here or am i on the right path just wrong page, whats up. someone out there has to understand, so please tell me wut ya think.
and please spare me the "you need to see a doctor" thing, i wanna find out from real people.

Hi - you need not be schizophrenic, there may be other factors at work here - or you may indeed be schizophrenic or schizo-effective. Point being that you probably should get psychiatric help, if only to understand what's happening. That understanding will help you choose the most appropriate treatment and a bit of medical help can only do good. If you don't trust one opinion, get as many psychiatric opinions as are needed to reassure you. But don't ignore it. And - hey - psychiatrists are also real people.