Hi. My boyfriend is schizophrenic and he`s on a med treatment. I love him very much, but I am worrying about the future with him. There is a possibility our kids will be schizophrenics too. What to do?

Hi. My husband is schizophrenic and sometimes I simply cannot deal with it. He`s all fine when he takes his meds, but he started to be paranoid over it. He thinks I am trying to kill him with the pills. Then, I usually leave the house and go out to see my friends. This is not the right thing to do, but sometimes I can`t stand his behavior. We have kids (both teens), and so far so good.

If you want kids, ADOPT.
Your boyfriend may be manageable now, but what if you kids end up being worse and do not respond to medication?

There are a lot of healthy babies who need homes.

I had a paranoid schizophrenic boyfriend for 5 years, and we lived together.  I'm still getting over it.

I loved him very much, but I would NOT recommend living with a paranoid schizophrenic.  If you have an organization like NAMI  (national asso  for mental illness)  that has family classes or workshops, I HIGHLY recommend going.  If you stay with him, you will need all the support you can get.  

Remember that schizophrenics are incapable of unselfish acts.  I heard that from every expert everywhere, but it took me five years to really accept it.    This is true even when they are on excellent medication.  Remember there will always be periods of relapse.  

Statistically, your children would have a 10 - 20% risk of having paranoid schizophrenia.  (big range  of % age because not that many schizophrenics trust doctors to have a look at their brains.)

God bless you.  I wouldn't wish loving a schizophrenic on my worst enemy.