One of my routes takes me through a valley (county park) and basically it's all on twisty trails, and not very out in the open. Today for no apparant reason (aside from maybe the sun was on the horizon and I was scared it was going to get dark) I was freaking out and kept checking behind me about 4-5 times each minute. Do you think it is actually safe to run around there on my own? It's not a bad area. The reason I ask is because the other alternative is to run on the road, but I'd rather run on grass and nice trails if possible, only today it wasn't so nice. It's always really, really quiet and I think I'd feel better if there were more people around. Am I being unreasonable? I just got a really bad vibe this evening. I couldn't have ran there in the day because I couldn't leave uni until after 7.

Laura

Would it make you feel safer with a little can of mace or something of that sort along?

Or maybe scissors! ba-dum-bump!

I forget which country you live in, but if you lived in the USA, I would tell you to go towards the more traveled areas. Too many nuts in this country.

PH
:D

I live in England. Funny you say that because someone is sending me over some mace (it's illegal to buy here) after what I said!

I do run with my car keys (the spike pointed outwards incase I trip, and also so I can maim someone if they get too close) but yesterday totally gave me the creeps. I don't know why, maybe because it was absolutely deserted apart from seeing 2 people walking dogs, and maybe because it was sunset, but something about the place bothered me a lot. yuk! i ran with a friend today, and although it almost finished me off (she's a lot faster), i'd rather feel like that than feel freaked out!

I would be careful if I were you. There is a great trail by my house that is secluded and I always though pretty safe, until a friend of a friend told me a nude man chased her whilst playing w himself. All it takes is one weirdo one time. If I were going to attack someone, I'd go somewhere there was less of a chance of being discovered. I now carry pepper spray or take my dog when I go to that trail. Don't live your life in fear.. just be aware! :)

yeah. i'm running on the open, more popular park now. i'd rather get heckled by kids, but at least have people about and be seen everywhere i run, than run on deserted trails and freak out.

Get yourself a running buddy. It's far less freaky.

haha

Running alone in a beautiful place can be heart-warming and energising - but not if there's a fear - at any level. And having to cart a weapon with you does nothing to reduce fear. Would you really use it? What happens if it's turned on you?

The running buddy suggestion is a good one, and how about considering your schedule. Is there a time you can do the run in daylight, or with others or at a more populous time? Of a different route that includes similar positive attributes?