ok, i started out running and grew a little bored with that (that doesnt make me a BAD person, does it?), so i switched to treadmill for a bit. so, i now run up to but not more then 30 minutes. i work the speed up to 6.5. i feel good when i am done, BUT here is the thing:

after i get off the treadmill, for about 30 minutes to an 1 hour, i will have a sharp pain in the ball of my left foot (its pretty painful, but i can still walk on it). after the time period, it goes away. my shoes are n good shape, and i stretch before i run. ive never had this happen to me running on the ground....
any help would be greatly appreciated.
Kel

Yeah something is up there. I'd lay off the treadmill for awhile. Reality is, treadmill running produces more "overuse" injuries than outdoor running. I've mentioned this before about a physical-therapist runner buddy of mine who, by far, sees more treadmill runners end up in his office than outdoor runners. "Overuse" is the description of pretty much every injury that a runner gets. What it's describing is that runners get injured from the same repetitive motion that will break down whatever 'weak link' you might have. And the thing about treadmill running is that every single stride and footfall is exactly like the last. There is no variation to give yourself a reprive. Eventually, depending on the point of weakness (if there is one, mind you), injur will hit. But the odds improve dramatically of avoiding overuse injuries when you run outside. The terrain changes, the slope, the surface (if you vary them), each stride and footfall become a bit different from the last as you cruise down the imperfect roadways, trails and paths. So all that being said, I'd tell ya to get off the mill for awhile and head outside on some softer surfaces. Find a trail of grass, woodchips or whatever might be softer than the mill. Hopefully it's only a strain of some kind and not a tear/fracture. Pain is always a 'red alert' so don't try to run through it. An 'ache' is something different and you can run through aches, but sharp pain should give you caution. G'luck.

thnx jrjo,
ur right inasmuch that its weird becuz i NEVER have this pain while running. i like the tredmill cuz its easier on my knees and ankles; i DO always run faster on a tredmil in order to get all the cardio and fatburning goodness out of the workout.... maybe my foot just is not used to the faster pounding on the belt.
Kel

jrjo said it best, in that every step is basically the same on the mill, and that you will tend to over-use the same area too much.

I once got a tough case of achilles tendonitis from running on the mill. Never had one injury running outside, but something about my stride on the mill put too much tension on my achilles.

I am not a big fan of Tredmill running I would rather be outside. I know some people have told me they run on them because it is easier on thier joints. I found a product that takes your running shoes and adds there system to it. It can't hurt for you to check it out. The website is: www.gnl-florida.com I have been running with them for a few months now and my kees and hips feel great!! It is now the only way I can run.