I've been training on trails lately and it seems to work out quite well for me. I'm suffering less knee and ankle pain this year. So the trails are my favourite.

Which surface do you prefer?

Track, Paved Road, Trail?

I've never ran trails but I'd love to try it. I prefer the surface of the track. level, cushy. I wish the roads were like that. :o

Wood chips

Trail training here.

95% of my running is either run on the track or on trails...... I like both surfaces... probably prefer the trails although lately I've started a little barefoot running and the track feels really nice on the feet.

Jim

Barefoot?
I've seen a few people doing this. I'm thinking of trying it sometime...

Trails
I've ran on all types of surfaces and trails are the most forgiving

I run on almost all surfaces, concrete, black top, sand, trail and grass. I prefer the trails but to get to the trails near me I have to run on the roads to get there.

When I ran, I ran mostly on sidewalks, my preference would have been for trails though

My surface of choice is actually asphalt. Tracks are a bit too cushy for my taste, at least for my daily runs. I've never run on trails - I'd love to try, but I don't think the appeal lies with the running surface.

... I ran mostly on sidewalks ...
makes my knees ache just THINKING about it

I run on all surfaces. Treadmill, sidewalks, streets, trails. I like to mix it up a bit that way I don't get too used to any particular surface. I don't have any knee problems though.

I was told by a trainer that most times its suggested to run on trails or tracks becaus eof the 'give' leads to less joint pain. I believe it. it's worked fo rme so far

I prefer trails, then asphalt, then track.

Our "trails" down here are really overgrown dirt roads, and we have no hills. I do most of my running on asphalt :(

Barefoot?
I like doing barefoot striders - we have some nice soccer fields near our house, and it's awesome to run 1-2 miles to the fields, then kick of the shoes for 10x100 striders (especially in the morning when the grass is wet and cool). Sucks to have to put the shoes back on to go home tho :(