Hi, I was wondering if you could clear something up for me. I fear that I have type 1 diabetes. The symptoms are there. I am constantly hungry, my mouth is dry all of the time and when I cut myself it takes forever for the wounds to heal. What I would like to know is what the risk factors for type 1 diabetes are? Is there something I could to slow down the progression of this condition?

Hi, type one diabetes is usually diagnosed in children, but in some cases the condition is not determined up to the age of thirty. This is a very serious condition in which our body doesn't produce any insulin. This is an important molecule that helps us to use glucose for energy. Because of this people with type one diabetes need to take artificial insulin in order to feel ok. Why type one diabetes occurs is not quite clear. The scientists have discovered that the patients with this type of diabetes have a strange autoimmune reaction in which their own immune system attacks their own pancreas cells responsible for the production of insulin. Genes pay a certain role in the whole process, but the genetic risk factor is not yet quite determined. However, it is known that even if both parents have type one diabetes the child has a twenty percent chance of inheriting it. And some patients with type one diabetes don't have any cases of this condition in their families. So you can see that things are very cloudy when it comes to diabetes type one. As for your case, I personally think you are overreacting, but you should see your doctor and talk to him about your concerns just to be sure.