Hello, folks. My sister suffers from Tourette syndrome. I know how much this syndrome can be unpleasant for the person who has it. You are marked by a society. I would like to ask whether this syndrome is inherited. What causes it? I would appreciate all your replies. Thanks in advance.

Hi. The exact causes of Tourette syndrome are still unknown. There are some theories that try to explain the etiology. Some studies of the twins and families show that this disorder can be inherited. The specific gene is still not found. There are some abnormalities in the brain that are found. They are located in basal ganglia, cortex and frontal lobes. Dopamine and serotonin also have important role. Streptococcal infections in childhood might play a role, but not all researchers agree with this. There is still a lot to discover about this syndrome.

tourettes is a genetic disease. one of you parents may be a carrier for this disease. and it is found on gene SLITRK1 on chromosome13q31.1. i am sry about your sister