My drs want to do a colectomy, because of hereditary colon cancer HNPCC
I have no issues with my colon right now but I did have colon cancer 2 1/2 yrs ago ..which was taken care of and now I have been diagnosed with uterine cancer they are certain that can be taken care of . My question is Should I get the colectomy just because of having a hederitary gene? thank you

Individuals with an HNPCC gene mutation have an estimated 80 percent lifetime risk of developing colon or rectal cancer. However, these cancers account for only three to five percent of all colorectal cancers. These hereditary cancers typically occur at an earlier age than sporadic (non-inherited) cases of colon cancer. The risk of inheriting these mutated genes from an affected parent is 50 percent for both males and females.
If you have already been diagnosed with nonpolyposis colon cancer (HNPCC) your doctor may have brought up the possibility of surgery to prevent the development of colon cancer. Preventive surgery is the preferred option for people with FAP only because it is difficult to screen for polyps and prevent colon cancer in these patients if they have intact colons.
I think the opinion of your doctor should be the most important as he could prevent you from making your condition even worse and more complicated. You should reconsider having the colectomy if this will surely make you free of troubles later in your life.
I hope you will decide what is the best for you.