I have a friend who said something about local vasculitis. He told me he has experienced Behcet’s disease, which is one of the few forms of vasculitis. He said there is a known genetic predisposition for this type of local vasculitis. I have not understood anything he tried to explain to me, so he left me a little bit confused. That is why I am begging you if there is anyone who might explain what does local vasculitis means.

The presence of the gene HLA–B51 is a risk factor for this disease called local vasculitis, Behcet’s disease exactly. However, it must be emphasized that presence of the gene in and of itself is not enough to cause this type of local vasculitis. You need to know that many people possess the gene, but relatively few develop Behcet’s. It is believed that other factors, perhaps more than one play a role if local vasculitis will occur. Possibilities include infections and other environmental exposures, differently with each person. Diagnosis for local vasculitis is based on the occurrence of symptoms and signs that are compatible with the disease. Those symptoms are the presence of certain features that are particularly characteristic, such as oral or genital ulcerations. It is also needed an elimination of other possible causes of the patient’s presentation. Whenever it is possible, doctor should have proof of vasculitis by biopsy of an involved organ. The criteria put forth by the group include recurrent oral ulceration, at least three occasions in a year to diagnose local vasculitis. In addition, a patient must also meet two of the following four criteria for Behcet’s disease, which are recurrent genital ulcerations, eye lesions, skin lesions, and or positive pathergy test.