I had a psychotic episode 25 years ago that lasted 4 months and was give a diagnosis of schizophreniform disorder. I have subsequently been treated for depression and given a maintenance dose of .25mg risperdal and 50mg amitriptilyne. I have been relatively symptom free since then and am leading a productive life. I've had subsequent episodes of insomnia, anxiety, racing thoughts, sadness and irritability and difficulty concentrating, only once requiring re-hospitalization. I went off the rails recently for a couple of weeks due to stress, but I am back to normal. Has anyone else had this experience?

I've had similar things with depression and post-traumatic stress disorder. My brother, who had schizophrenia and obsessive compulsive disorder, had to be re-hospitalized a couple of times. When my PTSD starts to come back, I have to go back to support groups, therapy, and stress management. I think it's just the reality for those of us with stress or psychotic disorders. Don't let it get you down, hon.

My partner was diagnosed with schizophreniform disorder 6 years ago. He had a bout of psychosis and was briefly hospitalizied during that time. Subsequently, he was prescribed Risperidone 0.25mgs and has been taking that since that time. He has been asymptomatic and highly functional and successful in all endeavours. He recently stopped taking the medication approximately one year ago and out of the blue, decided to leave our relationship. It was a wonderful, compassionate partnership where little was wrong. It seemed like a major life decision and I am searching to know if there could be a correlation between the fact he is off his medication and the decision to leave. It's difficult to know for certain is 0.25mgs really does help with brain chemistry and if schizophreniform will reoccur. This is why it is a difficult situation for me to normalize.

Any insight would be appreciated.

My partner was diagnosed with schizophreniform disorder 6 years ago. He was hospitalized briefly during this time for one week. Subsequently, he was put on 0.25mgs of Risperidone medication and after 1-2 months he became asymptomatic and back to his regular self. He went on to achieve many things; and was very high functioning. I found out recently that he decided to come off the medication. Also, he recently left the relationship of 7 years. He felt as though he was not blissfully happy enough. This was an odd decision seeing as the relationship was compassionate, supportive and very strong. Nothing had happened. That is why this is difficult to normalize. My main issue is whether or not coming off the medication, such a small dosage, may have made him experience mild symptoms. He was very quick to cut ties and ensure I was no longer involved in his life.

If anyone has insight into whether coming off 0.25mgs of Risperidone could have a negative cognitive effect on the brain functioning, this would be helpful. Also, if anyone has insight into prodomal stages of this disorder, this would also be helpful.

Thank-you.