Two years ago doctors told that my daughter has Borderline Personality disorder. She is going to psychotherapy regularly. Also sometimes she needs to take certain medications, antidepressants and antipsychotics. Please, can somebody tell me something more about Antipsychotics? And why these medications are important for people with Borderline Personality disorder? Thanks!

As you probably know, many medications are used in conjunction with Borderline Personality Disorder treatments, although the evidence base is limited. Antipsychotics are sometimes used to treat distortions in thinking or false perceptions. Several atypical antipsychotics, including olanzapine, clozapine, quetiapine and risperidone, may help BPD patients with psychotic-like, impulsive or suicidal symptoms.

Hello there,

First of all I am very sorry that your daughter has been diagnosed with Borderline personality disorder. I am aware how hard is to deal with something like this and I hope that you have find the best way of dealing with it.

As you know the therapy and medication are the best way to reduce the symptoms of borderline personality disorder but there are some alternative methods such as cognitive behavioral therapy. There are some results which are showing a great success of this therapy.

Some exercising is also very beneficial and it is beneficial in many ways. It helps to reduce the symptoms of depression and it will keep her occupied. It is important to make her feel useful and part of community.