Hello, guys. My friend has been diagnosed with borderline disorder. I know that this condition has several main characteristic with different psychiatric disorders. I would like to know how often psychotic episodes happen in this kind of disorder. I would appreciate all your help considering this topic. Thank you in advance. Bye!

Hello. Borderline disorder is characterized by instability in interpersonal relations, emotions and self-image. These persons are usually very impulsive. These persons indeed have psychotic episodes. I cannot tell you when exactly one can have this kind of episode. But, whenever a personal crisis appears, psychotic episode is possible. Usually, these are the episodes of paranoia. However, if the psychotic episode continues, then a doctor might think of schizophrenia. I hope this helps. Bye!

It is very difficult to answer your question. Usually some crisis can lead to psychotic episodes but medications are there to stop it so your friend should be fine while he is drinking his meds. The problem is that usually most of the patients with some kind of mental disorder are very hard to get adjusted to taking medications and nevertheless they are usually thinking of different ways to avoid taking them if they are supervised.

If your friend has someone who is taking care of him than he should probably be fine and maybe he will avoid psychotic episodes by drinking medications and avoiding stressful situations although this is highly unlikely. Be supportive as much as you can and good luck.