Hi, my father has been hospitalized because he was diagnosed with psychotic depression. He has been there for two weeks but I haven't seen any improvement. I have tried to talk to the doctor about my father's therapy but with no success. The doctor says that they are doing everything in their power and that it is normal for a person suffering from psychotic disorder to take some time to recover. Can you please tell me what type of medicines are they using in treating my father?

Hi, I am very sorry to hear that your father is suffering from psychotic depression. This is a serious condition that really needs to be treated for a period of time. The person diagnosed with psychotic depression has to be hospitalized for at least one month in order to recover. When your father gets out of the hospital he will still need to continue with the treatment. Full recuperation is usually seen after one year. The treatment considers the use of combination of antidepressants and antipsychotics. Antidepressants alone have limited success and antipsychotics don't have any affect, if used on their on, on psychotic depression patients. The combination of the two drug groups gives the best results. I don't know if the names of the most used drugs will mean anything to you, but the scientist found out that the combination of imipramine and sertraline is most beneficial. You will have to be patient and trust your father's doctor. I am sure that he is doing everything in his power to help your father.