I have a friend who had hard pregnancy and I was worried about her. When she finally got the baby, there was something wrong. I do not understand nobody warrants her to expect something like that. Actually, I do not understand exactly what is wrong with her baby at all; she said baby boy has Seckel Syndrome. Since I have never heard for this disorder, I would like to know something about it.

Seckel Syndrome is an extremely rare inherited disorder and it is surprising each time doctors discovered this. It is characterized by growth delays prior to birth, called intrauterine growth retardation. It is resulting in low birth weight of baby. Growth delays continue after birth, resulting in short stature. Other symptoms and physical features associated with Seckel Syndrome include an abnormally small head, which is called microcephaly. Patients have varying degrees of mental retardation and unusual characteristic facial features. It is commonly noticed some facial features, that may include abnormally large eyes, a narrow face, malformed ears, or an unusually small jaw. In addition, some affected infants may exhibit permanent fixation of the fifth fingers in a bent position. Seckel Syndrome is inherited as an autosomal recessive genetic trait, which explains why it is possible to occur sometimes with normal parents.