Hello guys. I went to some kid’s birthday party today. I met a lot of my friends there. While kids were playing and eating the cake, older people were talking. One lady that I know for a couple of years told me that she needs to go to visit her doctor tomorrow because he told her that after some test he is sure that she is dealing with antipspholipid syndrome. She doesn’t know to explain to me what this is exactly. Anyway, she doesn’t want to tell a lot because she wants to wait for the results.

I am wondering what this syndrome is and when it occurs?

How this occurs?  

Hey there Eric.

Antiphospholipid syndrome is an autoimmune disorder that occurs if the body’s immune system makes antibodies that attack and damage cells and tissues.

It occurs when your immune system mistakenly attacks some of the normal proteins in your blood. It can cause blood clots to form within your veins or arteries and if the lady is pregnant it can cause a lot of other complications. It can also cause blood clots to form in your leg veins. It can lead to deep vein thrombosis.

It is very important for this disease to be controlled by an expert, by a lot of doctors as well.

Greetings friends Antiphospholopid syndrome may cause blood clots in your leg veins, like you already know. But this syndrome also can cause blood clots to form in organs such as your lungs or your kidneys. Damage can be a huge and it depends on the extent and location of the clot. For example, a clot in your brain can cause a stroke.

I believe that this is very serious condition and I think that there is no reason to wait to start some kind of the treatment.

It is an autoimmune disorder that can affect any organ and patients with it can have a variety of antibodies to phospholipids in their blood

Good day guys.

Thank you so much for your comments. I am going to see my friend today, we made a deal that we will lunch together. I believe that she is going to tell me more about her stage and her current disease. I am wondering are there any symptoms that you can feel when you have this syndrome? If there are some of them how can you recognize them? 

I was thinking that this syndrome is nothing that serious, but now according to your comments I can see that it is. I hope that she will be fine, she will tell me more about this today...

Hi Eric,

There are two main classifications of antiphospholipid syndrome:

- Primary. If there is no known underlying reason, such as an autoimmune disorder, you have a primary antiphospholipid syndrome.

- Secondary. If you have systemic lupus erythematosus or another auto immune disorder, certain infections or have taken certain medications, your antiphospholipid syndrome is secondary. The cause of you antiphospholipid syndrome is considered to be the underlying condition or medication.

I believe that this is a dangerous condition as well and it requires an immediate treatment. I'm guessing that this friend of yours found this out on time so she won't have much trouble with it.

Hey Eric,

There are things that are associated with development of antiphospholipid antibodies, though not necessarily with developing the syndrome. These include infections such as syphilis, HIV infection, hepatitis C and Lyme disease, etc, medications such as the medicine for high blood pressure - hydralazine, heart rhythm regulating medicine - quinidine, anti seizure medication phenytoin and the antibiotic amoxicillin, and genetic predispositions. Although this disorder isn't considered to be inherited, research indicates that relatives of people with antiphospholipid syndrome are more likely to have the antibodies as well.

This can easily cause death in a person so it is not something to mess with.

Hey guys,

It is true that this is very dangerous, I have a friend of mine who had a stroke due to his antiphospholipid syndrome.

Not only can it cause stroke, it can cause your kidneys to fail, it can cause some cardiovascular problems such as chronic venous insufficiency, it can cause heart damage, lung problems or even pregnancy complications. There are a lot of reported cases of pregnant ladies with antiphospholipid syndrome who had miscarriages, stillbirths, premature delivery and high blood pressure during pregnancy.

There is no cure for this, the person will have this disease for the rest of its life but it will be on medications every day to prevent its most serious complications.