Hi. I am 24 years old. I am pregnant. The only problem is I have my pre-existing condition – epilepsy. Are there risks to my unborn baby? What to do to protect my baby? How safe are ani-epileptic drugs in pregnancy?

Hi. I am pregnant too. My pre-existing condition is epilepsy and I went to have a talk with my doc about it. He said more than 90% of pregnant women with epilepsy have normal, healthy babies. However, there are certain risks involved. These babies are more likely to be stillborn and to develop seizures as they get older. Other risks are bleeding, early birth, delays in development and growth, and the possibility of birth defects. I was told to take my antiseizure meds, vitamin supplements and folic acid to prevent birth defects. The risk of malformations of infants of mothers treated with anti-epileptic drugs during pregnancy is small, but existing. However, you are exposing your child to greater risk if you don`t control your seizures.

HI my name is mary and im about four months pregnant. i have had blood drawn twice. Once for was any diseases the babys father or I may have had. we both came out negitive. The second time they tested for down syndrome. serious things like that.WHen i fist found out i was pregnant I lost weight instead of gained it. it has only been recently that im gaining massive amounts of weight. The obgyn has told me that there be more blood being drawn as well. I have had a seixure last monday. I stopped taking my meds because my doctor said the less meds the better. BAD IDEA!! anyone who thinks it would be smart, it isnt. my baby and i could have died. so far the baby is complety healthy. I do smoke though. my doctor said it helps keep the seizures away. i smoke about 7-10 ciggerates a day. The doctors dont want to increase it because of the pregnancy. this pregnancy was not planned either it just happened. anyone has any questions send me an email. I talk to alot of people who has epilepsy and are pregnant. thanks for reading.