I need some advice on what is the Dandy Walker syndrome treatment for that is how my sis daughter was diagnosed on her birth 10 days ago. I never heard of this Dandy Walker Syndrome before and how come such little baby could be diagnosed with this disease. Anyway my niece already had some fluid drainage from her head and all this is terrifying me and I am now curious what are possible Dandy Walker complications and could it be treated. Thanks much!

Dandy Walker is congenital disease though it could be inherited also and it always indicate some brain malformation which main manifestation is a head of large size and this is actually caused by the filling around head space with fluid and the good thing is that your niece is diagnosed right after the birth and fluid drainage is already performed so that the intracranial pressure is probably significantly released and also swelling is put under control which could increase the chances of dealing more effectively with Dandy Walker Syndrome but I need to stress that full recovery usually depends on the severity of Dandy Walker condition so in some kids especially in those who were diagnosed and treated on time the intellectual capabilities are being preserved. Anyway Dandy Walker Syndrome symptoms are usually manifested in slow motor development and in more severe cases symptoms include nausea, vomiting, convulsions as well as problem with eye, neck and face nerves and also breathing difficulties and basically Dandy Walker Syndrome is related to some central nervous system disorders.