Cretinism is a congenital hypothyroidism, or a underactivity of the thyroid gland at birth. I know a lot of people think different about this disease, I was surprised too when I found out this. That hypothyroidism results in growth retardation, developmental delay and other abnormal features. It usually results from a congenital defect, and that’s not something kid is guilt for. That’s why I want to find out more about Cretinism disease, and to show everyone that is not what they thought it is.

Absence of the thyroid, presence of only a rudimentary gland, is inability of the gland to produce thyroxine. That’s why Cretinism disease can develop later if there is a lack of iodine in the diet, or if the thyroid is diseased or surgically removed. Neonates and young infants constitute the target population for the effects of iodine deficiency. That is because the most important complications of iodine deficiency are irreversible brain damage. This leads to mental retardation which results from iodine deficiency and thyroid failure during fetal and early postnatal life. It is characterized by imperfect development both of mind and body to young baby. The thyroid gland is either congenitally absent, imperfectly developed, or there is a definite goitre. The origin of this word is doubtful. The term sporadic cretinism was initially used to describe the random occurrence of cretinism in the nonendemic areas. Problem of Cretinism is that causes very serious retardation of physical and mental development.If the condition is left untreated, growth is stunted and the physical stature attained is that of a dwarf.