My sister is diagnosed with lupus few weeks ago. Off course, we were all despaired when we heard it. Anyway, few days ago she started to complain about spots in her vision. She said she could not see clearly any more, which really surprised me. Somehow, I keep hoping they misdiagnosed her and that is not lupus, then some other disease. Is it possible to have spots in vision because of lupus?

There is one disease called vasculitis that can cause symptoms your sister has like spots in vision. I am telling only this of all disorders, which causes eyesight disturbances, because this one is consequence of lupus disease. Vasculitis is an inflammation of the blood vessels. That is a condition, in which tissue is damaged by blood cells entering the tissues. In inflammatory diseases, cells are mostly white blood. White blood cells circulate and serve as our major defense against infection, so ordinarily white blood cells destroy bacteria and viruses. Vasculitis involving the small blood vessels of the retina can occur in lupus, which is guess, is your sister’s problem. The cells of the retina have to be activated to form any visual image. Sometimes, vasculitis of the eyes causes no symptoms, but usually, there is visual blurring or spots in vision, which comes on suddenly and stays. A person may even lose a portion of their vision, which is not so common so you should not be too much worried. I cannot say her diagnosis could not be wrong, but if she has spots in vision, she should report this to her current doctor.