I've been doing a lot of reading about black spots in vision and the term 'floaters' doesn't seem to apply in my case. I first noticed it a week or so ago when I was reading on Kindle. There is a black spot that is constant, in my left eye, its small and I can see it pretty much all the time if reading at the right angle I can use it almost like a pointer moving it along the line of text I'm reading. I've also had blurred vision but I put that down to tiredness from reading from electronic device. I've also noticed a 'cobweb' like line in my other eye that again is constant. I'm booked in for an eye test but its not for a while I'm starting to get bit worried.

Hi Jennaesmith.

I am having the same problem, I see a black spot in my right eye located in the right lower area and it moves in the directiion in which i move my eye balls. I think I might have had this from long time , but I used to wear spectacles and thought my lens were not clean, but I started wearing contact lens from the last 6 months and now I see this spot more clearly. It fades away slowly when i stare at an agle and reappears either when i blink or move my eyeballs . I can this spot movign a lot when I move my eyeballs while on the computer or look into bright sky, anything that has a lighter background like walls, mirrors etc. I might have had this from long time, but never noticed so much. Now that I am noticed this thing, I can one in my left eye as well, but this one is very very small . 

Did you find anything on what this might be and how to get rid of it ? PLEASE let me know. 

Thanks

Vikk

I recently had my spot checked out by a specialist. It is the result of an eye disease, she told me the name but I did not write it down.  It is not serious.  She explained that this spot does not show on any tests but it is definitely there.  The spot is permanent but not harmful, not painful nor will it grow or shrink.  There is no cure or treatment.  I will have this annoying little speck forever.  Not great news but thankfully not the worst news ever. 

Hi Jennaesmiuth & Vikk
i have got the same problems in my left eye visited the doctor a few times. but the doctors couldn't help me at all. still got the same problems for about three years . if you tow find out please let me know too

thanks

John

I just recently went to my eye doctor due to the same problem. Turns out, I have Posterior Vitreous Detachment and the black spot is a floater that became stuck. The spot I am seeing is the shadow it cast. Hope this helps!

Hello ShannonBee,

Is Posterior Vitreous Detachment alarming? If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? Do you have diabetes?

I am seeing those shadows too which are stationery.

My husband just told me he is seeing thousands of black spots, so I got on line to find out what causes this and to see if we need to seek medical attention..I can tell you we will be at the eye Dr. first thing in the morning. This could mean the beginning of the retina detaching from the back of the eye. This can lead to blindness, and or permanent damage to your peripheral vision. This is considered to be an eye emergency and needs checked out within 2 to 3 days. My husband is blind in one eye so we have got to keep the only good eye healthy.

I developed a small black spot in my right eye about 6 days ago and I got it checked out by an optometrist today. He said that he couldn't see anything wrong with the my retina or optic nerve, but he said he could see one floater that seemed to be more obvious than the others, and he believes that it was what is causing this spot. The only thing i'm confused about is why it is fixated in one spot. Does anyone know of floaters that remain in exactly the same place?

To be honest, even though it can be quite distracting, knowing that it isn't anything serious makes me feel much better about it. It poses no risk, which means I can just get on with life! :) Does anyone know if floaters eventually diminish over time?

If it makes any difference to any of you, I am 17 years old.

Thanks :) 

Just a quick update - two weeks after the floater appeared, it begin to move from its fixed position. It began to appear to be quite large, and for two days it was moving around my vision like a true floater. During the second day, it became stuck again in a different spot and suddenly seemed a lot smaller. The day after, it disappeared :o My point is that I thought floaters always moved, but from my experience, it seems that it can get stuck and stay fixed in one position. I would guess that particularly dense floaters are more prone to becoming stuck. If you do notice a black spot in your vision, particularly if it is fixed in one spot, get it checked out just to be sure :)

ive had the same problem with no diabetes or any other illness. went straight to eye specialist. cause vision in right eye was dark like i was wearing sunglasses on that eye. 4 eye doctors came in to look and agreed they were eye ulcers on the back of the retna. said caused by stress and could be genetic. they said it would go away in time but that it could reoccur in time with age. have begun to suffer problem but worse

I see a little dot that looks like a floater when I am in dim light. If I keep staring at it, it splits apart into little floaters and then goes away. I see it the exact same in both eyes. I don't know if it is my eyes and/or brain playing tricks on me though. I also see it when something moves in front of my vision for example: when I ride my bike and stare at the ground I see it. It also randomly appears blue or white ish very rarely and sometimes in bright rooms or outside it quickly flashes. I don't have macular degeneration and my eye doctor said he didn't see anything. I have floaters and no other health problems and I am under 18 years old.

So what happened then? Did you need surgery?

I have two solid black spots in my left eye looking straight ahead they are to the upper right corner of my pupil. Saw my eye doc he saw them said gravity moves them they are in the Vitreous I believe but I also have a watery type film on the same eye. Almost like watery eyes that never stop. I was told if I see more of those black dots that look like dark pencil points, flashes of light or anything else to tell him. He is staying on top of checking up on it. He saw the dots after dilating my eyes which I was amazed. If one says there is nothing wrong don't stop there you know your body! =)

I am a 53 year old woman and have had lasic surgery on my eyes twenty years ago+/-.
My left eye vision looks as if I am looking through a glass bowl full of black cheerios. The eye Dr. says it is not floaters but asteroid.... something. It affects everything! When I scan the road while driving I sometimes see things dash across the road that are not there. I have jammed on my brakes thinking I was going to hit someone or something only to see it vanish! I have epilepsy which is well controlled and thought this might be connected to the medication or epilepsy. ?

I have the same problem the spots have been there since birth and i am just now finding out at 27 years old that when there are spots in your eyes that always stay in the same place it starts out being a astigmatism and ends up being cateracts hope this helps going in for laser eye surgey next week