Hi, I am 34 year old women and I have lupus. I am trying to live as much normal life as person with lupus can. My family is very supportive and that means a lot to me. I exercise regularly. Doctor follow my condition and advice me whenever it is necessary. Everything was OK until little red and then purple dots start to appear on my body. My doctor has reacted immediately and does some tests. It looks like I have vasculitis now. It is induced by lupus. Tell me what vasculitis is and what cause it?

Vasculitis is inflammation of blood vessels. It can affect the big one, the medium or the small blood vessels. White blood cells are damaging tissue while entering it. In small blood vessels breaking can produce effect you have described, red and later purple spots on the skin. This disease could be caused by numerous reasons like infection of the blood vessels wall, immune or allergic reaction in the vessels wall, or it can be caused by some diseases like lupus, RA, temporal arteritis, tumors, leukemia etc.