Hi, I have been feeling pain and strain in my shoulders and neck for quite some time. I thought that these symptoms were related to my job description. I work in an office where I sit for eight to ten hours. When I went to see a doctor I thought that he was going to prescribe me some pain killers, but he thought that some additional tests have to be done. The final diagnosis was the spinal canal stenosis. The doctor explained that my spine is being pressured by my spine canal and that this causes the pain. He did not explain why this is happening or what the prognosis for this condition is. Can you tell me something more about spinal canal stenosis and how will this condition affect my life?

Hi, first of all spinal canal stenosis is not a condition on its own. This spinal degeneration is usually caused by another spine condition. You should ask your doctor what the cause of spinal stenosis in your case is. I am sure that he determined the primary problem. Some of these conditions are osteoarthritis, herniated disc and spine injury. The spinal stenosis is a narrowing of spin canal that then pressures spinal cord causing symptoms you have described. This is a very serious condition that can have serious consequences if not treated. The treatment includes drugs such as ibuprofen and aspirin to reduce pain and inflammation; analgesics and physical therapy. Unfortunately, spinal stenosis cannot be cured. All of these methods are used to relieve the symptoms of spinal stenosis. In the worst cases, when nerves are severely pressured, surgery can be a solution.