Hello. I'm 45 year old female and I would like to hear more about possible risks of the operation I was scheduled with in two weeks.
It all began two months ago when I noticed my first symptoms.
First I felt numbness, weakness, cramping and general pain in the arms or legs. I thought it could be from some excessive fatigue or maybe caused by flu virus. But I was wrong. When I started to experience problems with bowel and bladder function and foot disorders I have contacted my GP. After X-ray test he has determined that I suffer from some serious disorder called spinal stenosis and told me that urgent operation is needed. So, like I said before, he has scheduled me for some mini micro surgery in two weeks. I was just wondering what are the possible risks of this operation.

Hello. I know some crucial facts about this operation because I have had it done few years back.
Spinal stenosis is a narrowing of spaces in the spine that results in pressure on the spinal cord and nerve roots.
I will not tell you anything about the possible symptoms because you have experienced all typical symptoms.
Decompressive micro laminectomy is the most common and successful surgery done for treatment of symptoms associated with lumbar spinal stenosis. Like you probably know all surgery, particularly that involving general anesthesia and older patients, carries risks.
The most common complications of surgery for spinal stenosis are a tear in the membrane covering the spinal cord at the site of the operation, infection, or a blood clot that forms in the veins but they occur rarely because these days- this operation has become a routine.