I have had  shortness of breath on my right side for about 4 months now. Is this anxiety? The fact that its only on 1 side leads me to believe its not, is this right? I am 23 and smoke 

Hi qwert,

There are injuries to your lungs that can cause one side not to inflate fully.  What exactly is going on?  Is this all the time or sometimes?

Thanks alot for the reply

all the time. It also wheezes (i think its wheezing)  quite alot (arpart from both times the doctor has listened, thats why hes sure it is anxiety). I can kind of feel exactly where it feels damaged it kind of vibrates in my chest abit more than anywhere else when i talk. I had a similar problem afew years ago but that was in both lungs, i got an xray and blood tests n they came bk fine. We passed it off as anxiety and this time when i went to the dr's, anxiety just came straight back on the cards. Could it be because it feels more serious to me. My dr assured me that its very unlikely its cancer as i am 23, allthough i have smoked a hell of alot for atleast 7 years (without a filter tip, using a roach), and i dont think my dr is fully aware of this. I am hoping its just damage to my lungs that over time i can manage/get better. Should i rule out cancer & anxiety? I am getting another xray monday and i am going to ask for blood tests again (although i dont think its an infection since i have had it for 4 months and not really fell ill)

i have another thought, when i used to smoke heavily (with a roach) i would always have this habit of opening the right side of my mouth and inhaling, and i could feel my right lung was takin more smoke then the left, could this explain it, and could the shortness of breath be my lung cleaning itself (something to do with hairs inside the lung) would this make a sound and kind of vibrate when talk?

There may be something to your feeling that the right side gets more smoke.  It has 3 lobes versus 2 on the left lung.  The hairs, cilia, you refer to clean the lungs and airway.  I have heard wheezing many times but don't know of cilia making any noise that can be discerned over other noises while breathing.

Anxiety can cause wheezing, so can an allergy.  Smoking can aggravate such a condition.  Any restriction in your airway can cause vibration.

You are young for cancer.  The x-ray should indicate if there is anything suspicious.

Please keep us posted on the results of your doctors visit.  Good luck.

So it could be an anxiety issue, and smoking aggravates this anxiety condition? Thats actually really reassuring to here :)  I'm up and down at the minute 

I dont even feel anxious, and iv always thought that iv learnt to deal with anxiety quite well (my psychology alevel sparked a massive intrest for CBT).
But maybie its something im jst not seeing, the mind can be very powerful at playing tricks on you, it feels so physical though!! There is barely a minute of the day when i am not extremely aware of it, its scary

It could be anxiety or an allergy, or anything that restricts the airway.

Allergies are common too.  You may also have asthma.

Yes, the mind is very powerful.  See your doctor and get the physical ruled out.

Good luck, keep us posted.

As the said above is perfect symptoms of having this.

Scheuermann's disease! Job done i new it wasnt anxiety. Time to see a physiotherapist

Do you have curving of the back or a hunchback?

These symptoms are similar to mine and I have a curved back. What does this mean?

Better a CT scan I think