I am a newbie to the running world...about a month ago i realized how much i loved running, so now i wake up 30 mins earlier for school and go on a nice 2.5 mile run around the neighborhood. i've been told that i shoudl be taking rest days once or twice during the week to let my body recover, but i don't feel like i can start my day without the run. does anyone have any input on this?

If you're not having any pain, you should be fine running every day. If you start to get some pain, you may want to add in an off day or two. Everyone's different. Figure out what works for you and go with it. If that means running every day, so be it. Welcome to the forums!

Thanks for the helpful advice. So far I haven't had any pain, so I guess I will stick with every morning :D

Rest days are good, especially since you are starting out.

You should be good to go, as long as you are feeling okay.

Good luck

:wavey: welcome to the forums :wavey:

i think it depends on your current training. i could run at an easier pace 7 days a week, and used to. when the intensity of your training increases (you add hill repeats or interval workouts and/or your mileage base increases) i think rest days are completely necessary. i think every training program needs recovery time.

good luck with your running.

i like having rest days....i'm too busy to run every day and it really helps me preform better if i rest....i dont get tired as quickly...good luck!

Rest days are good for you. Check your heart rate in the morning if you notice it is higher by 5 to 10 beats then think about taking a rest day because you may be over training or catching a cold.

I tend to be conservative. I'd take a few rest days, especially since your new to running and it is a lot of stress on your body. After a few months, add a day back, then if you do well, run 7 days a week, but never be afraid to rest when needed.

Tom, I see nothing wrong running every day providing you you are running WELL WITHIN YOURSELF. If you are new to running it is important to build up what I call habit strength.
I note that you are still at school. Should you decide to start some serious training (as opposed to just going out and having a run each morning) I would STRONGLY recomend ACTIVE REST days, REST DAYS and out of season REst weeks.