Hey, everyone
I'm an out of shape 21 yrs old :( , I just started running just last week I got a pair of Mizuno wave rider 9, and I'm loving it. I'm currently following the "Couch-to-5k" plan at cool running. Hoping that I can stick to it.

I'm thinking of getting a HRM, if im going to be a regular runner mind as well get a nice one. But still want to be within the $100-300 budget. Closer tothe $100 side the better.
I'm looking Timex Bodylink and the Garmin series.
I'm debating on which one to get.

I know running is a good way to lose weight and keep fit, but i also want a good diet any advice on that?

Can anyone offer me advice on which is right for me in the long run?

-William

Personally I dont think there's any need for you to get a heart rate monitor, especially this early stage in your running "development."

For diet, crucial minerals that you really wanna make sure you get enough - calcium and iron. Obviously you wanna get lots of vitamins too by eating fruit. You should try to limit soda and junk food if u can.

There are a lot of good cereals out there like MultiGrain Cheerios that taste good and have lots and lots of nutrients in em. :D

Yea, i was thinking that too after reading a few threads from here and other forums.

But i do want to track my speed and distance is there a watch that is under $100 that can do that?. or I should hold off on that?. I know for sure that im going to stick to running.

I should start grocery shopping :D

A Garmin 201 is just a little more than $100 and it will track speed and distance. The Garmin 301 will track speed, distance and heart rate, but it's more expensive.

I'm a pretty short guy, im 5' 4", the garmin 201 looks a bit bulky on me. lolz

welcome :wavey:

i'd never mess with a HRM at this stage of your training. run laps at a track or drive a course in your neighborhood to get the mileage. too much "hardware" undoes a running mindset in my opinion. but that's just me. some people really like them, others never use them. see how your program goes and maybe consider one at a later date if you still feel so inclined.

as far as diet - add lots of water - lose the junk food and empty calories. consider fruit your "sugar" and replace white starches with more complex carbohydrates. always have a source of lean protein with the carbohydrate, it helps metabolize all that starch for the longer lasting carbohydrate fuel. oh, no junk...did i say that?

good luck!

I agree that you probably don't need a heart rate monitor. But they can be fun. -- and motivating if you get one that connects to the computer so that you can automatically keep a record of your runs.

I've been using the Polar S410 for about 5 years now and it still works great. (Finally changed the battery last week). I also recieved a Garmin 201 for Christmas. I love it a lot, but it is a bit on the bulky side.

I know Polar now makes a "foot pod" system that gives you distance & speed but not GPS coordinates. It's supposed to be pretty acurate, but I haven't tried one myself. I personally find that I don't use the actual GPS data from my 201 as much as distance and pace measurements. (It is fun thought to just get out and go, and come home and see where you went. The Garmin lets you map out your run.)

Thank you all for the great advice. I have to start shopping for more fruits.

There's a Timex Ironman with GPS  right now for 79. Doesn't have a HRM however. Hurry though, it will change items in an hour or so.

i was a min too late.....o wellz