ok, here is a workout given to me by a personal trainer....im not sure what to think, so im asking for opinions.....

ive worked up to running 5-6 days a week. i told the personal trainer that i wanted to increase my 2 mile running time.

he suggested that on odd days i get up in the morning and put up some miles (im currently doing 4 miles), he told me that these miles are slow and with no time frame really in mind (i do them at 10 minutes more or less). kinda like an active recovery day...

on even days he suggested i run the 2 miles, and run 1 minute slow, 1 minute medium and 1 minute flat out and then recycle and do again. i think this is a fartlek type thing, but im not sure....

is doing the above workout allowing me time to recover? i get seriously whipped by the end of the week, but, i have seen an improvement in my times.

i have a tryout on may 14. i dont want to overdo it and injure myself.

i guess my big question is should i run the fartlek run less then every other day (for optimum time improvment)?

thanks for any advice, im just trying to workout smart and not dumb....
Kel

First off... I'm betting you're wanting to decrease your time.... With the small base you have I think speed workouts twice a week are too much. If I was focusing on the two mile I'd probably be doing something like: sunday - long slow run - build it up to around 6 miles monday - easy 3 miles tuesday - 4 miles at a comfortable pace wed - 3 mile tempo run thurs - easy 4 miles friday - intervals start with a single 800 meter interval, recover and then do (4) 100 meter intervals with sufficient recovery between them Sat. - rest day Just my $.02 - there are other more talented runners here who could help you out more than me.

ok robp, that sounds like something i could do...

what does the extra mileage do for me? does it increase my leg strength so i can run faster on the 2 mile? sortof a conditioning aspect along with the active recovery of slow running after the runs?

thanks,
Kel

Endurance. When you can run much farther than two miles with ease, it'll make going faster all that easier. It builds a stronger base for your speed work to build upon.

What Pug said. In a nutshell, the longer distance builds your endurance and increases your aerobic capacity. You build the strength and speed thru the tempo runs and intervals. To go fast for longer distances a general rule of thumb is to build a base for your endurance and then begin to focus on getting there faster.

thanks robp,

i have implemented said training schedule as of this mroning....il let u know around may 12 (when i have to break to be prepared for my pt stuff on may 14), about the time i was able to cut off....

Kel

good advice here.

I'd say once a week for speedwork, unless you are really looking to smoke one, and then....you should still take a day off afterwards.