Hello all!

First timer. I am 35, in shape and fairly new to running. I have been cross training both in the gym and mountain biking for a few years steady. I have recently caught the running bug and am enjoying running, but have a question. I am running approx. 15-20 mpw for a few weeks, and just ran a 4 miler, which was a wake up call about my pace (or lack thereof). I run anywhere from 8:15-8:45 miles, usually 4-5 miles. I feel great after the run and want to do more, but want to take the cautious path to a good base. The only tight muscles I have after the runs are my calves. They do not bother me at all during the run, but I feel them afterwards. My question is this...Shouldn't I feel more general leg tightening? Or is it that my calves are just more undeveloped than the rest of my legs? Is there something wrong with my stride?

One other question while I'm here. Should I begin to ramp up my pace a bit (because I feel fairly fresh after my runs), or go for more miles at my current pace? My immediate goal is to build a good base for future distance races and just running cuz I like it.

:wavey: Build your mileage first, speed will come later. I'd suggest stretching the calves good also. Tight calves are common in new runners. Welcome to the forums.

:1: a little pre and post run massage would also help the calf muscle and may prevent future spasms or knots in those muscles. massage then stretch.