I'm just wondering how many days off people usually take.

Last year I spent two months running 6 or 7 days per week. No long runs, only 4 to 5 miles each run. Then I scaled back to 2 or 3 runs per week. I just felt burned out. It took several months to get my groove back.

At the time I assumed I just needed more rest days, but now I'm not so sure. I know there's plenty of other factors at work.

When training for something, I usually take off 1 per week on Sunday, which is the day after my long run...on rare occasions I may go 7 days a week, ending up with a 2 week streak before taking a rest day.

When taking a scheduled break from training, which I usually do after a particularly important race/ race season, I go anywhere from 4-5 to 2 no-running days a week.

Right now I'm running 3 to 4 days a week. Which, of course, means that I'm not running 4 or 3 days. I'll eventually be getting that up to 5 days a week running.

I run 6 days a week, rest day is usually the day before a long run.

I run 5 or 6 days a week usually. I go back and forth between a rest day before the long run to a rest day after.

:1: ..might not be a run 6-days a week, but some kind of aerobic cardio (bike, rower, snowshoe)

During marathon training, my schedule is usually 6 days a week. Rest day is usually the day before a long run. Some weeks I'll run 5 days with a day of cross training like pool running or elliptical. I tend to get overtrained pretty easily and I've crossed that line to where I've been hurt and burnt out on running, so I take that extra day of rest when I start to feel that way.

In the winter, I take a couple of months (December and January) where there is no training schedule - I get a few runs in a week, ski a bit, swim, etc.

:wavey: Hey jrjo, this winter I'm thinking of doing some snowshoeing (sp?) so I'll have some questions for you.

I run 5-6 days a week, at least one rest day. Sometimes I might do the elliptical instead of running, but that's rare. I lift weights about twice a week, usually I run in the am and do weights after work.

I run 5-6 days a week, Sunday is the rest day after the long run.

I run 6 days a week and rest on sundays.

Hey thanks for all the responses. :thumbsup:

I guess adding another day wouldn't be unreasonable. I already feel good with my current program (4x5 miles during week + 1 long run @14 miles) and as it is I hate taking days off.

I have trouble running more than 5 days a week.

5 days a week is the max I can handle. I usually run 4 days a week and it works pretty good for me.

Twice a week.

On the marathon schedule I've been doing (did it for Nashville, and doing now for Chicago), there is the occasional week that puts in a third day as well. At least one of the two days (or two of the three), I will do cross training.

Running 6 days a week works real well for me.

1 day off...usually.

If life gets too busy, then more.