Hi All,

My name is Claire and I am a newbe to the forum and pretty new to running. I started "seriously" running last spring and so far have competed in quite a few 5k's, one 10k and one 10 miler. I joined this forum in the hopes of getting some tips/advice about how to improve my running and get "unstuck" from the rut that I am currently in. :(

I run a 9:30 to 10 minute mile but really don't have any type of training plan. I don't even know where to start. I have read a lot about different types of training schedules, but I find them all very confusing and would like some help figuring out what I should be doing on a weekly basis. My goal is to have a routine that I could follow and figure out how to improve my time and distance on a gradual basis.

Help pleeese! :D

Thanks
Claire

What does your schedule look like now?

How much are you running each week?

How much time can you commit to running each week?

some general rules...
1. if you are looking to increase mileage use the 10% rule.
If you run 10 miles a week, next week, run 11, and so on...

2. if you do long runs...have that equal about 1/3 of your total mileage

3. schedule a two or three rest days a week.

to get any more specific...you'll need to answer the question ph posted.
:wavey: Welcome to the forums.

Currently I am running only about 15m per week. I don't really have any rhyme or reason to my runs, I really just try to get out and run whenever I can. I used to do long runs on the weekends, but lately I haven't been running as consistantly as I would like, so I just try to fit anything in on the weekends.

Claire

Forgot to answer part of your question. I can commit more time than I am currently giving, that is for sure. I think that if I had more of a structured plan, then I would be more willing to stick to it!

Thanks!
Claire

welcome phillycat!

i know that entering a longer distance organized run will really motivate me to train on a regular basis....maybe work on upping your mileage to 20MPW and look at entering a half marathon, maybe 6 months out. i've trained for two and it seems they put me on a roll with my running and keeping a fairly regular weekly base (26 - 30). after i'd done the longer runs, i wanted to keep myself at that fitness level. set goals.

good luck.