I'm 30 y.o. amateur cyclist for the most part of the year but I also want to run for some cross-training (I never ran before). Also I want to maintain my upper body.

Is it good idea to run with light dumbbells (e.g. 4-6 lbs each, I weigh 175-177 lbs) to maintain upper body? I've seen a couple of runners with light dumbbells. And I DO HATE to lift weights.

Dot, got a few things to cover...

• Welcome to the forums! :wavey:
  • I'm also a part-time cyclist that's 33 and weighs about what you weigh (I'm a guy too, if that matters).
  • For me, the worst way to throw off my stride is to try to carry something while I run
  • Running is pretty high impact on the joints and I wouldn't do anything to place any additional stress on them (i.e. carrying weights)
  • Have you considered just doing push-ups and chin-ups along with some crunches? That should give you a solid upper body without ever having to go to the gym.

Welcome Dot. And purple hayes gives good advice. I can't see any good coming out of running with weights.

Ditto the welcome.

I agree with robp and PH. I would also worry that weights could throw off your running form. Just my opinion.

I personally do upper body workouts and swim now to condition. It's helped out a lot. :D

Welcome Dot!

Agreeing with PH here. Since running causes a 'pounding' of 3 to 5 times your body weight for each stride, it probably wouldn't be advisable to add to that type of stress on your joints by holding or strapping on weights.