I am 22 years old and im beginning the police academy in about a month. The academy last's around 8 months (giving me 9 months to prepare) and at the end I will have to take a pt test. 33 pushups and 40 situps in a minute, and the dreaded 1.5 mile run in 11.50 seconds or less. I am 6'8 300lbs and I am pretty athletic. I feel like I could do it, but it would probably kill me in the process. I need a training regement or something to help me build up my lunge capasity and whatnot. Ive never been a runner or anything, and I just purchased a membership to our local ymca. What kind of advice do you have for me? I just need some help like on how to build my lung strength and whatnot. Thanks in advance.

a) welcome to the forums! :wavey:

b) 6'-8" & 300 lbs. I hope I never get pulled over by you. 8O

c) if you had to run 1.5 miles tomorrow, how long would it take you? (so we can guage your fitness)

Welcome and good Luck!

Have you tried running the 1.5 miles yet just to see where you are at? I think once you let us all know how that went everyone will give you their :twocents:

I havent ran the 1.5 yet, my drivway is exactly 1/10 of a mile, so I think im gonna run it 15 times to see if I can get an approximate time. I calcuated each 1/10 mile can take me no long than 45 seconds (equalling 11:30 overall)

I would begin by running a solid base of up to 3 miles a day 5 days a week.
I would even go to a track and run a time trial of 6 times around to see how you are doing right now, without training.

But we especially need to know your current speed on the 1.5 mile so we can gauge how fast your speed drills need to be to pass the test. I'm not sure I could do the 1.5 mile run in the allocated time limit.

Welcome to the forums. :wavey: