I intend to go on a ride with couple of friends on a cross-country terrain. I have a mountain bike with dual suspension. It is usually used for smooth rides over rugged cross country terrains, and that is exactly where I was riding it. Now we are going on a terrain which will be mostly uphill so I was wondering should I use clipless pedal during uphill rides.

Yes, you should surely buy clipless pedals. They give you more pedaling power during uphill climbs and, off course, help you keep your feet on the pedals. Maybe it is better for you to use freeride mountain bike, if you have enough money to buy it. It is almost perfect for this kind of rides. They are much heavier than all the other mountain bikes. You can have a look at Online Gear Swamp where you can buy lots of used mountain bikes, also good ones. If you are not using clipless pedals you are wasting a lot of energy, not having so much fun and risking nasty falls. Have fun in your adventure.