This post is an extension of the

Home remedies to help with opiate withdrawal? thread.

Please continue posting within this thread.

There is a leaf from a tree in Indonesia called Kratom that is legal and will completely relieve about any opiate withdrawal, it works directly on your opioid receptors in your brain and is widely available on the internet. I used the fine powder and mixed it with hot water so it will melt into the water. The powder doesn't like to mix with cold water. I'm not going to lie, it tastes like mud and it's not fun to take. It never gave me a true high that oxy did, but it did enough to completely handle the withdrawal symptoms and I came off of the narcs easily. Trust me this is the best route I've found out there. The shear taste of the stuff will make you want to quit, but when the withdrawal gets bad enough you'll use it to get rid of the cramping, sweats, pain and shakes. Do your own research and I'm only passing this on for anyone that has unsuccessfully tried all other routes with their doctor. Just Google Kratom, do your own research on it, and you'll find many places to get it with user testimonials. Good luck to you all!

i"ve been taking tramadol for about a year because i work in a factory and my feet, hands, back etc always hurt. y perscribed dose was 100 mg 3 times a day as needed. Some days i took more probably because it made me feel better mentally not so much for pain. One of the things i read was that tramadol made you feel like everything was ok, similar to an antidepressant or anti anxiety med as well as blocking pain. When i missed a does or tried to stop taking it i had the same symptoms everyone else has. Everything hurt 50 times worse than before. I concluded that brain chemical interaction of the drug was my biggest problem. I told my doc i wanted something different. He gave me Lortab. Ive read several places since that Lortab is harder to stop than Tramadol (true or not?) but i can say that even taking the Lortab im pain free but i still have the funky feeling in my head that i got when i missed a Tram does. My gut feeling is that the Lortab will not mess with my brain the way Tram did and will be easier to taper, Any input would be greatly appretiated. I will say that i will miss the way Tram made me feel like physically i was 18 again (39yo now) but i want to be drug free.

From what I have read and experienced, Tramadol WD is far worse than Lortab withdrawal. Honestly, I would recommend that you switch to the Lortab for a few weeks AT MOST, and then taper down off that. You WILL feel and experience some of the same feelings that you may have read about on these forums, but if done right you can minimize the WD discomfort, but you will always have some... and remember IT WILL go away

hey, I am 41 years old and in 2003 I hurt my back, went to the doctor and you know what happens next. I am up to three 20mg oxy's a day. I have been on oxys for about 2.5 or 3 years and before that I was on percs for about 3 years. three 20oxys is as far as i have reached as far as mg's. I have a 4 day weekend coming up (good friday 1-10-09) and I am quiting cold turkey! This will be the first time I tried to quit. I know alot of people have abused alot more oxy than me but I really dont think I will have less of a withdrawl because of my lower dose. I have tried to taper off and In my opinion I think it just prolongs the withdrawls. I may be wrong but Im about to find out and i am psyched and ready as im ever going to be. I guess im on here because it makes me feel better( i dont have any support because like most of you know , you dont want anyone to know about your shameful little secret) So, even if noone reads this I am still going to be on here and "venting" as I go thru this. I have read all entries on here and I kinda know what to expect and the only thing left to do is - doing it. I am pretty strong willed and even though this is going to be probably the worst misery I have been thru, I know I can do it. I dont think im mentally addicted but i am sure as hell physically addicted, wish me luck and I will be on here Saturday (im sure) begging you guys to remind me why i am doing this. Thanks

It's amazing to wake up in the morning and not need anything to feel normal.

I am 6 years clean from a Herion addiction, I slipped a few times but I am here.

I don't need anything to fall asleep or to wake up.

The 1st 3 days are the worst, after that it is all mental.

Taper off if you have the willpower. That will slow the wd symptoms if not eliminate tham.

It takes a lot of energy not to just take them all for the one last hor - ah. But you can do it. I did and I'm not strong at all.

I am on my second day clean from heavy Heroin/Oxycontin use...Basically whichever of those two was available, I would do it. For the last several months it has been all day, every day, snorting powder. I started out doing tiny amounts, 10mg of OC snorted, but by the end I could easily handle 80mg of Oxy without a sweat. I needed it to feel normal and right.

It really is hell...I've had headaches, and diarrhea, and I'm depressed...I am two days clean not because I decided too, but because the money ran out, I've spent all my savings on these drugs and isolated myself from my family and friends. My best friend is my drug man.

I just want to say that no one is alone out there, and there are ways to get help. Don't be afraid to show up at a clinic or do it yourself. I have weaned myself using cocaine (bad idea) and hydrocone (slightly better idea) as well as pot....Pot DEFINITELY helps, when it comes to opiate withdrawal marijuana is a very good medicine. Other than that I take acetaminophen (generic excedrin) to help with the body aches, and I'm just living with the diarrhea which is very bad...Every three hours its a run to the toilet...But it is getting a little better. The cold sweats are starting to ease and my nose isn't as runny...

I have done these drugs casually (a few times a week) for over a year, and for the last 3 to 4 months its been a daily thing...It is now Tuesday afternoon, my last "hit" of heroin powder was 10pm Sunday...

I want to beat it this time...

We can do it guys, its wrong that we are dependent on an illegal medication to make us feel right and normal and OK...The first two days are the worst of it...It's just something we have to conquer.

I have been addicted to lortab for about six years now, Yes this is the hardest things that you will ever have to do. It sucks to have to wake everyday and take a pill to feel normal or to just be able to get up and take care of your kids. Me and my fiance own our own business and we had plevty of money to do whatever we wanted and within a year we had spent over 60,000 dollars on them. Thats when we decided that it was time to quit. We still havent quit completely but it a whole lot cheaper now. I went and got put on suboxon and it helps tremendously all withdrawal symptoms are gone in 20 minutes but the bad thing is that it is slightly addictive too. Nowhere near as bad as the narcotics but its still there. Now we have moved to another state where all the doctors that prescibe suboxon cost so much that we cant get them anymore. Beside the occasional perwson that comes up to sell suboxon we have been taking the lortabs again only now it only 1 or 2 a day. Hopefully for everyone on here we will kick this and regain our lives.

I kicked a 240mg of OC a day, 2 year habit back in 2002 which was sheer hell. I've found myself in a similar if not so drastic point today where I'm in the second day of withdrawals from an 80 mg a day habit which I've had for about 5 months or so. I just wanted to say that sometimes the pain of withdrawals is a good reminder not to let yourself get strung out, which is why I'm skeptical of rapid withdrawals or suboxone, clonodine or methadone. That isn't to say you should have to go crazy you just want to return to normal the sooner the better. Back in 02 I remember seeing an addiction forum where someone posted what was posted previously in the other thread:
Protein - ALOT OF PROTEIN.
a good Multi-V w/ many minerals. (Zinc, Copper, Potassium, etc..)
Omega 3, 6, and 9 - can be found in Flax Seed Oil (plus more goodies)
5-HTP for a better mood and less anxiety.
SAM-e (on empty stomach)
Alphaloic Acid and Milk Thistle to rebuild the liver.

If you need a boost of energy.. start your day with (on empty stomach):
L-Tyrosine w/ vitamin B6 - these together become dopamine and help to produce endorphines.

I ended up taking the tyrosine and b6 as well as the multivitamin and immodium and they really helped a lot. Get some tyrosine take it with a red bull you will feel a lot better. It cuts down on the white noise in your head and helps take the edge off. I took 2000mg on an empty stomach first thing in the morning. I mean you're still going to be in an unpleasant place it's just noticeably less unpleasant. Now you can buy L-Tryptophan over the counter, I plan on getting some when I go get some Tyrosine. Oh, hot showers and baths and if you can, hit the hot tubs or something. Hang in there. It's going to take time. Back before I got myself hooked again I had six and a half years of otherwise normal living, something I never would have understood back in those nightmare days in 2002. Opiates is my weakness, I don't abuse and rarely even use other drugs. Cannabis is helpful in getting through some of the rough patches, if your only real problem is opiates I should think using marijuana as a remedy is a good thing but if you have problems with drugs in general then I can see why it would be bad for you but that's not everybody. Well, typing is pretty difficult and I'm about to head out. The fact that I've been through this before doesn't make me feel any better about myself but at the same time I know from experience that there's hope.

I posted here a year or two ago. Back on another WD but its not bad, only about a month max of usage and a couple of off days in there as well. I'm around 48 hours in and while it sucks, it is getting better. I'm glad I got off when I did because the WD has been shitty but manageable and much quicker. I'd think I will fell much better tomorrow and be fine in 5 or 6 days.

This time I used the same tactic. Taper off, always always taper. The key is not to be high but to reduce your dose to allow you to function. This makes things much easier. If you have had a shorter and not very heavy habit you can get away with halving your dose.

Things I've found helpful:
1. Take some Ibuprofen/Alieve/Tylenol
2. Don't be afraid of Marijuana if you like it. Keep the doses low, like a hit or two. Too much could give anxiety.
3. A few low ABV beers in the evening. again, if you like them
4. Some kind of diphenhydramine (bendryl, Tylenol PM, simply sleep) to help sleep
5. Some kind of smootie, fruit if you cannot eat. Get some food in your stomach for whatever you do.
6. Most important, a positive desire and a true desire to quit. You really have to want to do it. Its not fun.

Ride it out and if you can get out and do something if you can. It kinda feels like a reintroduction into society.[/img]

Wow. I have looked at this forum for the past week and have only now decided to post. Reading all the personal experiences and tales of withdrawl have inspired me to quit. I have a habit. A bad habit. It is time I said it, owned up to it, and kicked it. I started like most of us; back pain, then surgery, then came the pain meds. First a few, then more, then just a few more and BAM. Just like that. I take anywhere from 100-170 mg. of Oxy a day for, what I thought, was legitimate pain. It is all given to me by a reputable pain doctor who monitors my usage, but he doesn't know how much I take and then, when I run out, how incredibly terrible it is.
I am going to try the Kratom route and have ordered it from, what I hope, is a good source. This is my first real shot at quitting with help from an herbal supplement and I am interested if anyone else has tried this method. Please respond if you have any advice or anything else that might help me climb this very large mountain in front of me.
I remain inspired by this forum and hope to return with succes.

I have been taking opiates for the past six years. It first started as something fun, when where I lived people snorted them to get high. I moved, and got injured at work, which turned into taking vicodin a few times daily. Last year I had another work injury and have been taking around 7 7.5/500 lortab a day, as well as benzo's for anxiety. I am in between doctors right now, and I have known for quite some time that taking this many meds isn't good, but since I have chronic pain, it is difficult to choosed between pain and addiction. I have psoriatic arthritis and sciatia. Anyhoo, I am in day three of withdrawal and I am really freaking out about what to do. Nobody I know knows that I have this problem, and I plan on keeping it that way. I have done plenty of research on the net, and since I am also a nurse I know whats going on with me. I guess it's just helpful to be able to vent like this and read about other's experience to know we are not alone.. I'm curious to know if methadone is really an opt, but where I live it is not prescribed for opiate withdrawal, and very hard to get for pain management. I guess thats enough rambling!

I am the same Guest that wrote on 04/26/09 - 17:18..

I just want to remind everyone that time really helps. I feel much much better today and can tell the end is almost near!

Just hang on, it will feel like forever but soon it will be over! After day 3 it is all downhill.

You can do it, just stay strong. Vent if you need too. I find writing online helps get my feelings out.

Make sure you eat plenty of food before you start your withdrawal and take supplements. I didn't realize it until about 60 hours in, but I was really damn hungry. I then had to force myself to eat. Not fun, but you gotta do it. It will help tremendously.

having been cut off from my OC source due to a trip and an unexpected shortage while here (a central american country is where i'm posting from), i'd just like to say thank you to all of you who remain positive because you inspired me to quit. although i've only been on 4-5 10/325 percocets for around 5 months, it still sucks. would anyone be able to estimate how long withdrawals will last having taken this drug for only 4-5 months?

last night was the hardest night of my life, detox/withdrawals were gnarly and i never want to experience them again. yesterday was my first day i hadn't taken any. I will try some of these remedies for tonight, since most of the aforementioned ones are accessible even in this 3rd world country. Today i feel okay, just a little achy and fatigued and slightly restless. hopefully the worst is over. Thank you again,

M

Hey M,

the good news is that your w/draws shouldn't be too bad since you haven't been taking them for too long. Given that, I would just stop all together with any opioids for your w/draws even if you do have access to some where you're at. If you're already feeling ok then you shouldn't expect much worse from where you're at now. day 3 tends to be the hardest for many reasons, but after that you're home free if your will to quit is strong. I would most definiately suggest to exercise if at all possible to help rid yourself of restlessness and to help your brain to create natural endorphines again; opioids blocks your brain from making natural serotonins and by exercising you help you brain to regain this funtction. It's a very very important function in overcoming your addiction. I'm currently on day 4 with no opioids and 8 days of tappering down after a 5 year addiction at 6-10 norcos a day, and exercise and hot baths/showers have been my saving grace through this hard time. I'm finally feeling a little human today though I'm not done yet. Your should hopefully be allot less than mine, I pray it is! Valium, pot and other drugs have only made the w/draws worse for me, but exercise and hot baths (as many as your water hater can handle) brings relief and comfort. You have to make yourself exercise as I know all too well that it's not an easy to make yourself do it. But once you do it the first time, breaking a long sweat in the process, you'll realize how good it makes you feel and then you'll want and will do it more. Good luck to you!!! I'm glad you wise enough to figure you needed stop this quickly...most, like myself, let it go on allot longer.
Cheers to you!