So I'm ready to buy a new bike. Here's my question. What should I consider on the wheel size decision?

My height? How I ride? What I'm riding? ???

I need some input, because I've got a opportunity on a sweet deal, but it's a 650, and someone told me I need a 700. Why?

Any thoughts?

Most time trial/tri bikes will have the 650 wheels. I think they are supposed to be faster in some way, but I don't remember why.

Well it's my understanding they accelerate faster. One crank of the pedal makes the wheel go around once -- you go the distance of the circumference. With a smaller wheel that's easier, but then you have to crank more times to get the same distance. Approximately 8% more.

"So if you're a cyclist who likes spin over power, is the smaller wheel better?" would seem to be a good question.

They gear up 650's. You usually get a 55 big ring. Yes, there is less rotational mass which makes acceleration faster.

Unless your are riding at 23-24 mph I would go for the best fit. If it fits and you get a great deal even better.

How do you know what size bike to buy, (CM measurement) is that based on one's height?

I am 5'9", so what CM bike would best fit me?

Well since I usually average right around 26...
oh sorry... I dozed off there...
good point. Fit's going to be it, that's for sure. I'll go to the LBS and try some of both. See what works. And who knows they might have a good deal for me.
Thanks!

I ride both. My TT bike is 650 and my road bike is 700.

The differnce for me is cadence. My cadence is really fast, (I just recently found this out.) so spinning in 650's makes sence.

The real facts.

I find the 700's faster for short periods of time. I can easily do 24-25mph for an 1-1/12 hours on the 700's as I can maintain about 21-22 on the 650's for hours and hours.

My cadence for 650's is about 100-105. My cadence on 700's is about 90-95.

I cannot comment on climbing. My best time is just over 2:35 for 56 miles on 650's on a hilly course. I don't think I would have been that fast on 700's.

As for your choice...... Most bikes over 52 cm should have 700's, so if your height puts you on a bike that is bigger than a 52, go 700's

Sheldon