What's your fav?

And when you choose biking shoes, do you go for a snug fit or a loose fit, like a running shoe?

I've got two bikes with SPD pedals and one bike with Speedplays (and now I've got a set of Power Pedals, but I won't go there since they're too new to me). I think the SPD pedals are more low-maintenance. The Speedplays seem to have a harder time with getting dirty.

Shoes? They should definitely be very snug. You don't want your foot all flip-flopping around in the shoe. When you're pedaling in circles, your foot shouldn't slide around in the shoe because a) it's really annoying b) it's inefficient.

Great timing as I'm in the market for new shoes since my feet grew. I'll just sit and listen over here in the corner. Which reminds me (I'll go start a new thread)

I use LOOK pedals, but I am thinking about switching to the new Dura-Ace pedal. I like the float and the bigger platform of the LOOK, but I think I'm adding a lot of weight to my ride. I won't be changinfg this year, so I'll just say I'm riiding LOOK. PP396.

Shoes. Snug, but not tight. PH hit it right on the head. Since the motion is cyclic, you need a tighter shoe for the forward and back motions.

I use Sidi Genius.

My wifes bike is set up exactly the same.

Sheldon

I forgot to say that my too small shoes are Specialized 'mountain' shoes (road shoes with 4 extra pieces of rubber on the bottom) and SPD some 3-digit number basic 2 sided pedals I found for ~$50. The pedals I like. The shoes make me lose toenails. Continue.

How much weight are we talking?
I always wonder about bicyclists and the preoccupation with how much equipment weighs. At least for me, if I lost a couple pounds off my butt, that'd make up more than enough for the few ounces in weight a pedal might carry :shrug:

How much weight are we talking?
I would guess about a 120 grams per pair. I'm not sure of the exact numbers, but that is pretty close. I am not a weight weinie, but a 120 grams is significant.
I cannot afford to lose another lb on my body weight.
Sheldon

I bought my MTB shoes from my LBS -- can't find a pic like 'em, so I'm guessing they're old, especially since Nike doesn't even show bike shoes on their site anymore. Not light, but they don't make me do a drunk chicken walk either. Here's an MSN store that has it in a different color. link. They work nicely for now, although I wonder how long they'll hold up. Is it just me, or do Nikes fall apart easily? I can't remember the model of the Shimano pedals I bought. I dunno, but they're very newbie-friendly after the LBS set them up for me. Ditto re: snug shoes -- I shudder to think of the blisters I'd get with loose shoes. My choices were based on what the LBS offers and my father-in-law's generosity -- Happy Birthday to me!

Sidi T1 and LOOK pedals.

I think the weight is give and take. Some have heavier pedals others have heaver cleats. Take your pick.

I have a pair of Specialized size 38 (I think 38) shoes you can have. Never did like the fit of them. Now they just stare at me, ridiculing me for my fear of the pedals they once rode upon. I think they can be altered from my long gone LOOK pedals setup to your SPD pedals???

I really appreciate it! But my too-small ones are 39 and also Specialized so I think yours would be miserable. I think I need a 40.
at what age do I stop growing again? :?

I use look pedals and shimano shoes. I went with the shimano because they were a bit wider in the toe box. Hubby has changed to speedplay pedals with his Sidi shoes. He loves the speedplay because they have a little more float in them for his knees.

Shimano shoes that I got from PH, and performance forte pedals.

First expereience with shoes and clipless pedals. Took no time at all to get used to.

Performance Forte pedals and Exustar shoes.

I've been reading some rave reviews on Bebop pedals. Anyone? Bueller?