I have spottings sometime, usually in the midst of the cycle. Used to have brown-red discharge for 1-2 days. I have consulted the doctors before and they said it's nothing serious when it can go away on its own, no odour and no pain.

For the last 2 weeks after my last period ended, I started to exercise and jog for 3-4 times a week after 1 months of slacking. The spotting came back on last tuesday and still going on now for 4 days. Right after jogging, i can feel like some discharges coming out.

I was not sexually active and not on pills, age 25 this year. So i was wondering if the jogging movements affect my womb and causes these discharges? I have increased my speed as i was desperate for faster weight loss

If it does go away on its own, should i still consult the doc? I have a scan of my ovaries earlier this year and it shows no sign of abnormal growth

Not too sure if anyone have this similar problem. Have been researching the net for awhile but yet to see anyone with similar situation. :-(

Hi bibi_j,

You know, every time I have ran/jogged my entire life, I have spotted. In my teens, in my twenties and in my thirties. I am now in my 40s and several of my sister in laws run, so I decided to start again recently. Well, guess what, I'm spotting again! My dh remembered this problem and highly discouraged me from running... I never ever have this trouble when I walk...so I guess I'll go back to walking...

In the past when I've asked doctors about this they would say something similar to what your doctors said..."nothing serious..."
but it just seems weird to me that I bleed when I run! %-)
There is no other problems..no pain, cramping, etc...just bleeding!

I've read other posts that suggest hormones, birth control, polyps, etc could be the cause of this spotting after running....but this has been going on for 35+years for me and I've never taken birth control...

I'm wondering if some of us just aren't supposed to run...the design of our bodies is such that we should just walk?

just a thought...

Hi there. Yes, it can happen. Exercises can cause spotting or it can cause bleeding that will go away soon. Anyway, the main point is, that if you're experiencing breakthrough bleeding during or after exercise, it doesn't matter are you going to gym or you are jogging, I can tell you that you probably don't need to worry about it at all. That spotting occurs fairly commonly in women. Some of us have this during exercises a couple of days before the period comes. In that case, you really should not be worried at all, but you should also be aware that this is not a normal menstruation that you are used to having. But, on the other hand, if your breakthrough bleeding worsens or even worse, if you are experiencing the pain, talk to your doctor about it. In this case, this can be a medical problem. If you don't have a pain, if you only notice those spots, that is OK. 

I have also had this problem...everytime I exercise, I spot. I am trying to get pregnant and for the past 2 months have been off my reg. cycle, now I threw working out into the mix and am spotting. I am really uncertain of why and the doctors never have an answer.

This has happened to me since I was in my 20's now in 30's.
A possible suggestion would be to contact a specialst. If there is anyone that knows anything about this topic, I would love to have an answer, especially since I am trying to conceive.

I recently started running again over the last month. Two weeks after my period is over I've had a little spotting. Never used BCs and can't be pregnant as I haven't had sex in well a while. Also was at the gyno a week ago and mentioned this and she said didn't see any polyps/cysts that would cause this.

I'm thinking it has something to do with the running as well. Kinda nice to know I'm not a complete medical mystery and that there are others having a similar issue.

Hello-

I've been exercising since December 07 and the past couple of months I've been spotting off and on. I use the NuvaRing for my form of birth control. One of my friends started spotting last winter when she started to train for a marathon. She went to her doc and ended changing her birth control pills.

Nice to know I'm not the only one out there!

Hi, I searched "spotting after running" on Google and found this site.

I've been running off and on for a few years, but only recently have become dedicated to it so that I do it a few times a week. I'm 21 years old, healthy as far as I know, not on birth control and not sexually active, and experience spotting after running and other vigorous exercise.

I have the same problem too. I start spotting everytime I run. I got a PAP and an ultrasound done; both were normal. I had some heavy spotting after my last period (Mar21) and my period is late by ten days (it's always on time). I don't think I'm pregnant but I plan to take a pregnancy test soon.

I think it must have something to do with the body adjusting to increased exercise-related stress. I'm a former college athlete and am now a triathlete. I'm 32 and have had spotting off an on for years. It seems to happen more when I make a big increase in my workout or a change in the kind of workouts I'm doing (biking to running or swimming to biking etc...). My doc's never been overly concerned about it, and other than being annoying, it hasn't affected me any other way.

I am 27 and started running 3 months ago. I get spotting during the middle of my cycle (around ovulation time). It starts off with a thick, brown sort of blood and then red blood starts to mix in, going back to the thick brown blood. It is so annoying, and is definitely related to my running 5 miles every other day. I've been to the gyno and everything check out ok, i think its just something you have to deal with if you want to be fit. Maybe it will go away eventually? lol.

You ladies make me feel better knowing im not the only spotter out there after heavy work-outs.I mtn bike 2 hours straight every-other day[along with kayaking & swimming] The day's I choose to do hard climbing on the mtn bike and alot of it, I SPOT.I know there is a lot of rattling around motion in mtnbiking so that has to be it.It all happened after my c-section so I thought perhaps scar-tissue??Somtimes I bleed for a good hour after words.

Well got tested for the whole 9 yrds to find out everything is ok 8) But I still wonder if it's a good thing??

Hang in there spotters,and mix the heavy work-out's with some chill ones so we dont bleed all the time 8-| ;-)

so glad to come across this. I used to work out a lot, have had 2 kids back to back and ever since the birth of my second I haven't been able to do too much hard exercise without spotting. I am just tired of being out of shape! I, too, have had ultrasounds and paps and everything is normal, the docs just say probably something hormonal. I thought I was an anomally and this makes me feel better! I am in my late 20's and my youngest is now 3 yrs old and I recently started doing some running/biking/swimming more hard core and am STILL spotting. I took a hiatus for about 8 months and everything stopped during that time. I figure it's probably more important to be in decent shape than to worry about it. I also think maybe it is hormonal because I noticed that I cut out coffee for a couple of months and it seemed to completely go away (coffee/caffeine messes with estrogen). I started drinking coffee again this month and low and behold, the spotting is back. I also upped the intensity of working out this month slightly, but not too much! I think it must be hormonal... burning fat also releases estrogen into the body (estrogen is stored in fat) Lots to think about, seems to be something doctors know nothing about!

I used to be a runner in my teens and 20's but didn't have any spotting. Running injuries forced me to curtail my running and now in my 30's I ride my bike quite a bit. I find that after hard rides (for me, that is 30-50 miles 15 mph or more or with lots of hills) I end up having some brownish red blood for a few hours after I finish. It doesn't happen all after all of my hard rides, just some--which I find rather odd. I've never had any problems and have always gotten good checkups from my gynocologist. My personal opinion is that I think we shouldn't worry about the spotting from exercise unless one is trying to conceive and then it might be good to do lighter workouts. Has anyone had problems conceiving because of exercise? I'm trying to get pregnant and would like to know if 15 miles of flat cycling at 10mph or less is too much.
Thanks!

I have problems with running/spotting ever since my c-section 3 years ago. Never had any answers from doctors, so its nice to find I am not alone. Wish I had some reasons why, though...

Oh my gosh I wish some doctor would reply here and tell us why this is happening and if there is something that we can do besides cutting down our workouts. I have been to the doctor and tested a bunch of times for everything. I am going back next week again. fifth time in over 2 months
I am having the same issue after running or intense exercise I spot sometimes for a day or two. Sometimes brown , sometimes red. I am an athlete so i don't want to not exercise but I am tired of spotting everyday becuase i train almost everday. I feel like i can't start dating because I am almost awlays spotting...so frustrating but glad I found this site