Hi there folks,

It's been two days since I have been released from the hospital with my brand new pacemaker. At least I hope it's new, I hope they didn't put some already used piece of technology in me, huh, you never know these days.

Anyway, I got home and I heard bunch of things about cardiac rehabilitation but nah, that's not for me, bunch of people who can't manage their way out without someone else's help, that disgusts me. I'm going to do this on my own but I need some directions. What exercises can I do after this pacemaker surgery?

Hey there Bill,

Well, you sure do have an attitude there (nobody is allowed to put an already used pacemaker in you, so no worries about it; even if they did do it somehow, you can't really know or do anything about it). 

Well, you shouldn't really have any exercises during the first month after the surgery and you shouldn't lift anything heavy. People usually get back to their everyday routines in a few days after they are released from the hospital and that will probably be the case with you as well. After one month has passed, then you can think about exercising.

Hey guys,

I agree with Stradivarius here, you should try to stay more or less without any exercises in the first month. In most cases, having a pacemaker won't limit you from doing sports and exercise, including strenuous activities, but just avoid these in the first month, please.

You may need to avoid full-contact sports, such as football. Such contact could damage your pacemaker or shake loose the wires in your heart. Ask your doctor how much and what kinds of physical activity are safe for you. He will know the best, or anyone else who has experience when it comes to this matter.

To hell with that, I can't wait for a whole month, I have to stay in shape. I also have nothing else to do to be honest, I spend most of my time in the gym. I'm not the type of a guy for slow walks through the park, sitting on the benches and enjoying the view.

And I'm not talking to my doctor, I don't like that guy. If I wanted to talk to him about it, I wouldn't be here talking to you guys. You aren't very helpful, you know, I want someone to tell me that I can go back to the gym as soon as tomorrow.

Nobody can tell you to do that, Bill. If they do tell you that, it is because they don't really care about what happens to you and they just want to get you of their backs. We are telling you about what is best for you.

You need to try and do something else for this initial month. I don't know what are your interests but there's got to be something that you like doing that doesn't include lifting weights and exercising. I would recommend chess since it is one of my favorite games for relaxing, but I'm somehow sure that you are not the type of guy for it.

Why did you come here? It sounds like you have already decided what you're going to do. If you went to cardiac rehab you get all the answers but then you already know them, don't you?

Hello Bill. Look, you have to wait. It is all about your recovery process, right? So, you have to listen what we are telling you and what is your doctor telling you if you want to be better, right? Now, I don't know that much about exercises that you can actually do after having a pacemaker surgery, but I do know that you can walk. Yes, you can have nice, long walks at the fresh air. That is totally OK, but also you need to be very patient when it comes about your recovery process, because it can last little bit longer! 

Hello there. I have to agree with noynlife completely! Cardiac rehab is the best thing that you can do after having a pacemaker surgery. There is not better option than this one. My dad went to cardiac rehab and he told me that there is nothing better than this - you can get all answers there, doctors will inform you about everything that you need to know and they will tell you what exercises you can do after this. This is a recovery process, and it is very important for you to recover very well. Also, njoynlife has a lot of experience in this, so listen to him. Have a nice day.

Hello there. Yes, cardiac rehab is a good thing, but there are so many good exercises which are safe as well. A safe workout should always include both things - a warm up and cool down period. Also, you need to know that you just can’t jump right into a run and don’t sit down right away after a workout. No, you need to worm up and cool down after every exercise. Start and end any run with a light walk. If you’re doing strength exercises, do 5 to 10 light minutes on the exercise bike to cool down after your workout. It is also very important -  don’t expect to be able to exercise at the same levels that you were used to before your pacemaker. But that is normal. 

Of course, I totally agree with you. I had one friend, and he was always into the sports. When he had heart attack, he was recovering pretty fast and he tried to back to his ordinary life, that he was living before. He was sure that he is OK and that he can continue to play sports, go to the gym everyday and of course, that was a mistake. You just can't do this. Recovery process needs to go slow, it can go fast as you want. You need to be patient and do whatever your doctor tells you to do. Good luck!