Hi everyone,

I was wondering why do doctors need to turn off your pacemaker to do a colonoscopy?

I received my PM about three months ago and I'm still getting adjusted to it. I am now scheduled for a colonoscopy in the upcoming month. I don't even know much about colonoscopy, I could use some info on this thing as well. But the main thing that I want to ask you is about turning off my PM, like I already said. The physician told me that he may have to turn my PM off using a magnet. This is new to me. Can anyone explain to me why does he have to do it?

Hi Alan,

First of all, are you sure that he is intending to use the magnet in the purpose of turning off your pacemaker?

I'm asking you this because doctors are usually using magnets to change the settings of your pacemaker. I'm guessing that he would use the magnet to change the settings of your pacemaker only during the colonoscopy, and then, after the procedure is done, he would change the settings back. When the PM is off, your heart will return to functioning as it was before you got the PM, this kind of wouldn't make sense, so I'm guessing he wouldn't really do this.

Hi you two,

I'm not sure why have you been told that you have to have your pacemaker turned off in order to have a colonoscopy done. I have a pacemaker and have had this procedure done without any trouble or concern about the pacemaker. I was treated just like a patient without a pacemaker.

There is only one thing that crosses my mind, I think that if your doctor finds any Polyps during the colonoscopy, he will use an electrical current to slice them off and he would be concerned that the electrical current would interfere with the Pacemaker. This is the only thing that comes to my mind.

Hi everyone,

Well, it's weird for me too that your doctor would want to turn off your pacemaker during colonoscopy.

It doesn't make sense to me, you didn't get a pacemaker for nothing. If your doctor turns it off, your heart is going to work like it did before you got the pacemaker. When I had my colonoscopy done (and I have pacemaker as well), nobody was mentioning turning off my pacemaker so I don't know what makes your case different than mine.

Maybe it's the thing that Stradivarius wrote, your doctor doesn't want to shut it off but to change its settings? I don't know.

Hey Alan,

Your question was bothering me yesterday, I had my colonoscopy done as well without having to have my pacemaker turned off. 

A close friend of mine is a doctor and I gave him a call this morning regarding your question about turning off your pacemaker during colonoscopy. Now, my friend told me that he knows of no case where a doctor had to turn of somebody's pacemaker in order to do a colonoscopy. Neither did he know anything about changing the settings of your pacemaker. I would advise you that you try to speak to another doctor, just to hear a second opinion.

Good day everyone.

I was talking about this with my doctor. He told me that most colonoscopies will not require the use of the anesthetic for removing of abnormal tissue. I believe that this is true. So I have to tell you that I am a little bit surprised because your doctor wants to turn off your pacemaker to do this colonoscopy.

My mom did this colonoscopy two or three times, I can’t remember anymore but doctors never turned off her pacemaker.

You need to consult someone else. I really don’t see a point in this.

Everyone have a nice day.

Hello everyone.

I have to agree with almost anyone in here. I don’t believe that doctors needs to turn off your pacemaker to do a colonoscopy. I had the colonoscopy like many other member in here and my doctor never mentioned anything like this to me.

It doesn’t have any sense to me. I really do hope that you found some other opinion because I think that turning off your pacemaker to do this procedure can only harm you.

I am telling you from my own experience, I didn’t have any problems with it when I did colonoscopy.

Good luck. 

Hey there guys.

Maybe you don’t trust me, but I was wondering this as well. I have heard this from my friend and to be honest, I was really confused about it.

I was never thinking that you need to do something like this. Isn’t that dangerous? Because I believe it is.

Now when I am reading all your advice, I am pretty sure that this can be very dangerous. I asked a friend of mine who is studying to be a doctor and he told me that doctors doesn’t need to do this.

You should ask someone else about it.

Hello guys. I really need to join to the club of the people who are against it or to tell you that this is something that I hear for the first time. I know a lot, trust me A LOT of people who have peacemaker and when they did a colonoscopy their doctors never needed to turn off the peacemaker to do a colonoscopy.

Honestly, I don’t even want to ask my doctor what he thinks about it. Maybe this is some procedure but I am not sure how this works.

I would not let my doctor to do that to me. I wouldn’t feel safe at all.