Hi, folks. My friend has implanted pacemaker. However, it seems that it isn’t functioning properly. This seems almost impossible to me. Is it possible to have malfunctioning pacemaker? I would appreciate if anyone could reply to me this. Thank you in advance for all your effort in replying to my post.

Hello. Pacemaker implantation is a very common procedure. However, pacemaker can go malfunctioning. Most malfunctioning of pacemaker are benign, but there are some that are life threatening. Cross-talk inhibition or runaway pacemakers are such situations. Symptoms can vary. Patient can feel dizziness, syncope, palpitations, slow or very fast heartbeats. There are many causes for this. Some of them are: improper lead position, incompatible connector, battery depletion, etc. In any case, your friend should report this to his doctor. I hope everything will be all right. Bye!