My very good friend is supposed to give birth in the next few days. She already talked with doctor and he said that they are going to use epidural anesthesia. She agreed although I told her that it could be dangerous for her. She had problem with her blood pressure and sugar. She also did urine test yesterday and results are not so good. I am worried that she would have complications after epidural anesthesia.

Many women are familiar with epidural anesthesia because it is frequently used to control labor pain during childbirth. Patients who receive epidural analgesia typically have less pain when they take deep breaths, cough, walk, and they may recover more quickly, but for patients with medical problems such as heart or lung disease, epidural analgesia may reduce the risk of serious complications such as heart attack and pneumonia. Side effects from epidural analgesia are uncommon, but they can occur. Most of these are minor and short term, like headache, lowered blood pressure, or numbness and weakness in your legs. I guess that there is nothing you can do; you can’t protect her from the “after” period. It is her decision and her doctor.