After being constantly lethargic and after gaining weight with no apparent reason I realized something was wrong and I took my ten year-old son to a doctor. He was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I find this very strange as nobody in our family has ever suffered from such disease. Anyway, he is prescribed with a drug called Levothroxine and I would like to know what it is and what can I expect with this drug! Thank you

Levothroxine is a new drug and has been approved in2001. Levothyroxine is identical to a natural thyroid hormone produced by the body and is most commonly used to return thyroid hormone levels to normal in patients with hypothyroidism. Your son will have to be monitored often with blood tests to see if the thyroid hormone levels are within normal range, and to decide on the appropriate dosage. Reported side effects are only due to over dose and the signs are: nervousness, weight loss, rapid heart beat, irritability, and anxiety.