I've heard that vitamin c helps to reduce blood sugar, but is that "real" or an old wives tale? I hear a lot of claims for different vitamins, minerals and herbs that will control or lower blood sugar, but am always afraid to try anything because I don't want to screw up my blood sugar or send myself into a coma. 

Hi guest,

It's always a good idea to ask your doctor, who knows the details of YOUR specific case, before trying any significant change to your diet.

Some studies have shown that VERY large doses of vitamin C can help control blood sugar.  We're talking 1000 mg or more.  That's more than a dozen 8 ounce glasses of OJ though.

You can have side effects such as diarrhea, dental decay due to the acids, kidney stones, and gastritis - just to name a few.

Hope it helps.

The amount of Vitamin C that appears to be beneficial to diabetics is too high a dose to take without the side effects that medic dan mentioned. The studies that correlated the benefits of a high vitamin c intake with lowered blood sugar are quite a number of years old. Research changes constantly and as a nurse I have not heard of Vitamin C effectively lowering blood glucose. Talk any changes in your diet over with your doctor and ask what he or she has heard. This may be, as you said "an old wives tale."

I heard about Vitamin C years go and its affect on blood sugar, but it never did anything to control mine. Cinnamon was always a better regulator of my sugar and whenever I want something sweet, I'll still make sure that it has cinnamon in it so I have a good chance of not having to worry about a big sugar spike. It seems to work. I've heard it's also a fat metabolizer and so I started putting it in my coffee. The first week I did that I lost 6 pounds without even working out. I've done it for the past 6 months and lost 64 pounds.