I am a mother of a son who is not quite old enough to be getting too embarrassed about my presence in exam room during his physicals so I feel it is perfectly appropriate for me to witness the whole thing. I want to make sure he is healthy and developing normally, and I may need to ask some questions as well. All visits included genital check at the end of the exam where the doctor usually pulls his underpants to his knees and conducts hernia and testicular examination. Since there is no screen in the pediatric exam rooms, this check has been done practically in front of my eyes. As I said above my son is not quite old enough to make a fuss about that. To my great surprise, however, I too often see mothers entering the exam room with their older sons who apparently already entered puberty and their son's behavior shows a huge discomfort and embarrassement. I am curious if the examinations of the boys who are already in puberty is done in the same way as the examination of my pre-pubescent son and what is the age at which mother's presence in the room during the examination of her son is acceptable.

Hi Guest,

In the ER we respect the patients wish, if possible. 

I'd ask my son if he wants me to leave or not.

You could also always face the other way.

I would suggest that your son accompany you when you visit your doctor.