Six months ago my son broke his leg and he had to go to surgery. Ever since then he is complaining to constant pain. After using all kinds of pain relief medicine I heard about Oxyfast. I would like to know more about the indications for using this medicine. What are the side-effects?

Oxyfast (concentrate solution), OxyContin (tablets) and OxyIR (capsules) are the medicines for patients suffering from moderate or severe and constant pain. They are the only oral oxycodone that acts for 12 full hours to relieve pain, unlike short-acting pain medications which must be taken every 3 to 6 hours. Analgesic onset occurs within one hour in most patients. Oxyfast tablets need to be swallowed whole, and are not to be broken, chewed, or crushed. Otherwise, they can lead to rapid release and absorption of a potentially toxic dose of oxycodone. Indications for using these medicines are cancer, pain caused by surgery or other medical procedure, pain that lasts more than few days, frequent and constant chronic pain etc. Side-effects associated with these medicines, including other opioids are respiratory depression, nausea, weakness, constipation, dizziness, vomiting, headache, dry mouth, sweating, and sedation. It would be the best to consult with your doctor to find out if Oxyfast was right choice and appropriate for your son’s pain.

Just to correct the above poster: OxyFast is a liquid (a solution, as he said), not a tablet. When he says Oxyfast tablets need to be swallowed whole, etc. . .he probably meant to say OxyContin, which are the extended release oxycodone pills. OxyFast is not extended release and kicks in instantly, being a solution.

I'm sure if his surgeon prescribed OxyFast, this was the right choice, and consulting your primary doctor is unnecessary. The surgeon is a specialist, in any case.