Hi, I am 34 years old and I suffer from attention-deficit disorder (ADD). I have this condition since I was a child. Recently, I developed sleep apnea. I am wondering are ADD and sleep apnea somehow connected.

Hello, I read an article about this. Some children had the same problem as you. They had sleep apnea that caused some symptoms of ADD. They became forgetful and developed attention disorder. Like sleep apnea wasn’t big enough problem! If I remember well, sleep apnea means pauses in breathing during sleep. People are rarely aware of their dificulties breathing during sleep, so they often don’t know what is happening even when they wake up. ADD is diferent. This is a neurilogical disorder that is offen present since childhood. Its symptoms are poor impulse control, hyperactivity, distractibility and forgrtfulness.

Hey I have Aspergers syndrome+ADD. Don't say hyperactivity is included in ADD, for it isn't a H In ADD. Altogether it would be called Adhd if hyperactivity was in ADD ... and altogether there are lack of attention and focus,( Attention deficit disorder... that is part is True.
But it contains no Hyperactivity. otherwise I Agree Eddi.
Best thing to is to go and train Focus and all things you can do as young and adult...

No, I do not think it is connected. Sleep apnea is about not breathing in short periods of time during sleep while ADD is when you're attention span is very short

Attention Deficit and sleep apnea are MOST definitely connected!!!

When you have sleep apnea, whether Central or Obstructive, you are so fatigued and your bloodstream is so full of carbon dioxide waste that your focus is affected in a HUGE way! You get little or no REM sleep, your immune system takes a beating, and you are oxygen-deprived. Nobody can be chipper and focused after that everynight!

My son was dx'd with ADD at age 11 - with no H for Hyperactivity ... but the doctor said "there is something else going on here". She never did figure it out before she retired.

When he finally got dx'd last year at age 16 with severe Obstructive Sleep Apnea, it all made sense. When you've slept for 10 hours but you feel like you've got the equivalent of maybe half an hour sleep, you will be a walking zombie. Plus the adrenaline that constantly gets sent thru your body to wake you up because you've stopped breathing will eventually do a number on your heart (our son now has hypertension after 4 years of going undiagnosed). Like the sleep specialist we saw said, "if OSA is not treated, it can be fatal".
It is worth undergoing a sleep study if you have ADD symptoms and are always tired, trust me!
JM

Hi  wolfenbarger. My aunt has suffered from sleep apnea. She traced his disease two years ago. Than I searched on the google an I found a doctor who offers treatments for more diseases including sleep apnea. We  went at this doctor. For 3 weeks, my aunt followed that treatments recommended by the doctor. After this weeks, my aunt started to feel much better. Now she doesn't any  problem. If you are interested about this doctor you can find his address on this link 

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed***