Hello! My father has never taken care of this health. He eats unhealthy food and he is overweight. He doesn’t want to exercise and he is a heavy smoker. He snores heavily and my mother noticed he makes pauses in his sleep. It seems he doesn’t breathe at all for few seconds. When he started to wake at night my mother took him to see his doctor and he diagnosed obstructive sleep apnea. Is Obstructive Sleep Apnea disabling in any way?

Hello! Obstructive sleep apnea is a disorder that affects many people. Persons who suffer from apnea are unable to achieve the deeper stages of sleep which leads to daytime sleepiness, automobile accidents, personality changes, depression and decreased memory. Also, some doctors think that there is a link between obstructive sleep apnea and coronary artery diseases and stroke. Your father has to lose weight, stop smoking (or reduce it) and he has to take at least a twenty minutes walk every day. This will not solve all his problems but the symptoms will probably be reduced.

I have a really bad case of sleep apnea, I use a BIPAP machine and it worked really well I can sleep 5 hours now and feal like I slept 10hrs it works really well.