Hello! My sister has a six month old son. He is her first and only child and he was born after a full-time pregnancy. She noticed he made pauses during his sleep and once he turned blue during his sleep. She was frightened and took him to the hospital and she told me he was diagnosed obstructive sleep apnea. I have never heard that a six month old baby can have sleep apnea. Is this possible?

Hello! Yes, sleep apnea is possible in children and in infants. Children with obstructive sleep apnea are more difficult to recognize and diagnose. The diagnosis is usually based on the symptoms such as failure to thrive (weight loss or poor weight gain); mouth breathing, enlarged tonsils and adenoids, problems sleeping and restless sleep. Sometimes the causes of apnea are not found, especially in children who are younger than one year old and it is called apnea of infancy (AOI) and it usually goes away on its own. Central apnea usually occurs in premature infants and neonates and it is associated with immature nervous system. You sister should follow the specialist’s instruction and everything will be fine.